Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1413832 views.
KSCarolyn said:

I don't need a hug but you could bow to me.

Sorry I do not bow, I courtesy. True story when I was growing up we had to courtesy and my brother had to bow when we were introduced to anyone when we were children. I remember the adults saying how cute that was. My parents were European and children were taught proper manners.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-18

lppenguins said...

Yes we’re mostly huggers. I hugged my sister and nieces this weekend for the first time since February. 1 lost her job, the other a husband. They needed hugs, it was worth the risk

Good for you!  I know it is hard but I have hugged my nieces and nephews going through life too.  We both turn our faces away from each other but I can just tell they appreciated the love and care expressed and they seemed to need.

Msg 2067.22786 deleted
Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-18

lppenguins said...

I was on the bus riding up to Kingman to see family on Election Day when Mr. Obama won his first election. Oh my, 1 Southern gal, vs. a family of like 5-8 African Americans on their way to Vegas.
She wouldn’t sit or be quiet even tho we begged her. They kicked her a—.  I had to call my sister & have her call 911 in kingman to meet the bus. Ugly Ugly. Last bus ride ever. 

Oh. My. Stars.

What a scary experience that must have been!  I'm so sorry the bus driver didn't call for help right away or take control.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-18

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said...

My parents were European and children were taught proper manners.

Good for them!  You'll have to teach me how to courtesy if I don't fall over in the process! 

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-18

I'm glad I could catch up with everyone here and it seems that all are doing well.  We're doing well too.  DJ is working FT and taking a summer class online toward his major so he's a busy cat. 

DH is enjoying retirement...  at times almost too much!  The other day he spoke about wanting to "look" at any new technology in any recliners since we got his last one.  He spends lots of time there as he spends time writing new software and other things he is working on between working in his woodshop.  Great.  So Monday we went on a field trip to look and think about the use of our family room seating.  I was sewing Tuesday and wandered in asking...  "so do you want to go order?"  I guess his legs and back were hurting due to the chair more than i realized.  But I don't spend money like that without stewing about it for awhile.  He wanted to get going on the 10 week wait.  Sooo...  I just assumed we'd see how this first year of retirement went financially.  He's gone over the numbers with me many times and can recall the details more easily then me but I'm still getting used to this whole change of life in retirement.  Which includes having him around 24/7!?!?  Don't you have a project out in the shop to check on or work on??????

I ordered and received fabric for a HS graduation gift for our niece's daughter.  I still am waiting to be able to get rid of stuff staged in the garage to go to Savers or Goodwill or WHEREVER!!!  The guys kinda moved everything I had carefully placed away from Lizzie and now it blocks my use.  I am enjoying working on ShoutForJoy's Scrappy Picnic Quilt Mystery.  I'm just using fabrics in my stash and scraps.  She's doing this in a FB group and some here are participating as well.  It will be fun to see any of these at S&T during the retreat.  

Well, the annoying thing is I didn't do anything. It's perceived I did something. :( One gal thought I originated some comments another nurse said, and I thought the administrator understood but apparently not. Also the write up said I didn’t enter 4 meds from an admit—not true. So I figure I better find some new nursing. Put in applications out several places, was called next morning for one, which was the interview today. Seemed to go well..I really liked the facility and the atmosphere. The interviewer said I was good at interviews, and offered to let me shadow one nurse for a while, which was cool. I could ask her more questions about how a typical day was, how she had to supervise ppl, etc. I really liked the experience and if they were to make me a good offer, I'd take it. It's at a hospital rehab facility. :) 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-18

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

Well, the annoying thing is I didn't do anything. It's perceived I did something. :( One gal thought I originated some comments another nurse said, and I thought the administrator understood but apparently not. Also the write up said I didn’t enter 4 meds from an admit—not true.

If you have the ability to do so, I would file a response to that write-up.  State your point of view of the situation just so there is an opposing view.  If nothing opposing the write-up is in your file, it looks as though the write-up is fact.  

If you can't file such a response in the company files, you do have a copy of the write-up for your *own* files, yes?  If not, get one.  Put that write *and* your response in your own files.  That way, if some future employer asks you about it (if they ever found out about it), you have the original write-up *and* your side of the story, written at the same time when the details are still fresh.

Mishii

Jun-18

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

Well, the annoying thing is I didn't do anything. It's perceived I did something.

Oh that is annoying.  Sorry about that.  On to bigger and better things!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jun-19

Oh!  DH and I had a most interesting afternoon last week.  Our new pastor at church and his family are moving into our area.  Due to family medical needs and dynamics their housing requirements were a bit unusual.  They finally found a home in the hills between here and the coast.  Since it is built in a hilly area the basement area is unusual in that you can walk around there.  Turns out the previous owner built a train layout beneath the house that DH was asked to assess what it would take to remove.  We drove over and didn't expect what we found.  This layout is made of the same G gauge trains we have and run at Christmastime.  BUT...  this layout is built of 5 "room areas" all connected via the tracks that weave in and out of handmade, detailed layouts of town, factory areas, farmland and mountains.  There is a second track that is suspended from above that weaves a trolley through areas too.  He built elaborate suspension bridge, trestles and countless buildings and there are hundreds of scale people and animals glued to cars and scenes throughout.  We were gobsmacked!! 

We spend 4 hours trying to figure out what circuits controlled what tracks and to what rooms.  It took me at least 4 attempts to count just the engines as I kept loosing track going from one room to another and spot a new one that was hidden to my eye in a tunnel or siding.  I finally got a consistent count of 13 engines from small Switcher to large Passenger and Freight pulling engines.  We had a blast!  But we were overwhelmed with what would need to be done to remove all of this.  Unfortunately, we had to report that not as much could be salvaged and sold.  We (wrongfully)assumed all of the track could be inventoried and sold in lots of varying lengths.  Unfortunately, it was tacked and glued down to 1" plywood very well with scale ballast and we'd likely destroy the track in the process of trying to remove it.  After the new pastor's wife came down to see what we'd discovered she was entranced at the trains and trolley going around.  Now they may want use to rewire the circuits to one "on" switch to show it to kids and others who might come to their new home.  That would be an unusual delight for visitors.  So we will likely be back.  DH found out he can have one phone call to the previous owner and layout builder to ask some questions he still can't figure out.  Sure will save time if he can tell us how he has the subtracks powered and if there are more circuits we haven't been able to find yet.  A unique puzzle to be sure!