Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1510514 views.
LindaPutt

Oct-1

Ditto what Laura said.  Cathy too.

• Edited October 1, 2020 4:50 pm  by  LindaPutt
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-1

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

When I opened it, there were a few needles and 3 small spools of thread on wooden spools.  God knows when he last used it.  I doubt that thread could hold much together any more.  I brought it home with me.

OH!  OH!!!   I know an EXCELLENT use for old thread like that.  I, also, inherited a huge inventory of thread on wooden spools from my mother-in-law and one of Tom's cousin's mother.  The thread must be 60 years old, at least.  You know that you wouldn't trust it for any structural strength.

BUT .. by golly .. it's perfectly suitable for anything temporary .. like basting!  or you just need to tack something down.  I use all that old thread for basting my hexies.  The thread just stays in the hexie when the template is removed.    I really *hated* using my expensive, good piecing thread for basting the hexies and this was the *perfect* solution.  

Every time I prep my hexies, I profusely thank my mother-in-law, Jeanne, and Aunt Emilie for having that thread for me to use.  :-)

I also have accumulated a good-sized stash of old thread for basting -- most of it on wooden spools.  I cringe every time I think about all the wooden spools I threw away in my youth.  Wish I had them back now!  

I displayed some. And I used some in the rag rugs I made. I figured it didn't matter if it was poly or what...as long as it held it together :) 

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-1

Great idea, Shelley.  I'll save it for that.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-2

Had lunch with Carrie Boyles, Donna Mcuire and Sally Hauser(Chris" sister-in-law)  today.  So nice to see them and catch up.  

Also talked to Nancy Sears and her sister, Judy.  They sold their house in Show Low and have been living in Nancy's little house down here in Sun Lakes.  They just found the house they want down here and should close the sale Oct. 27.  Hope it goes smoothly for them.

Oh, how fun! I miss that people don't go this far when traveling, so I don't get lunches/dinners with people. Glad to hear everyone is doing well :) 

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Oct-3

Looks like the forum is a little odd today… But Dee regarding your question about Altoid tins… I have used one for a long time as a mini sewing kit. I have a magnet on the inside for needles. I sewed a couple of felt squares together (wool would make even better sense) and blanket stitched the edges closed. Filled it with cotton balls. Makes a great miniature pin cushion. I also put a tiny seam ripper in there, and stuck some Thimble stickers to the inside of the lid. We’ve also gotten some really tiny scissors before in our goodie bags at retreat and so I have a pair in there as well. I’ve also been known to throw in a few safety pins. I also made a mini sewing kit for the glove box of my car. To that one I’ve also added things like a tiny tube of super glue, some random buttons and a couple of bobbins with different colored thread. If you don’t want to waste the bobbins, you can also just wrap thread around a square piece of cardboard. Or if you’ve done Crosstitch, those little precut dohickeys work excellent.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Oct-3

Carolyn, I’m sorry to hear you’ve been sick! How are you feeling now? Are things starting to improve?