Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1519047 views.
viola (sissly4)

Oct-17

You know I thought about the same time I mean there's everything in there that you need or what I bought a pair of night socks there that when you take your shoes off in the evening you put your house slipper type things on they come all the way up to almost to my knees they are really warm I tried them on last night but that is quite a place if you ever get close to it go see it

lppenguins

Oct-17

I’m trying to catch up (again), I saw Patti’s post and giggled. I knew it wouldn’t take long for a retort. Lol

although Patti, I too have been adding more and more fabric into tubs and moving into the garage. I had no idea that much fit in my little closet. :0)

lppenguins

Oct-17

See it’s the same here. Can’t go to the campus, but all prices remain the same. I know they need to stay open, but the parents / students could use a break too. 

lppenguins

Oct-17

Oh my, I hope you can turn the corner and start getting your energy back. I just told a friend the other day that medical workers are getting it and you all are using every protocol. 
im worried again!

lppenguins

Oct-17

Wow Shelley that is beautiful. So cool. I need to get my tops on hangers where I can see them. I might get renewed enthusiasm. 

lppenguins

Oct-17

Holy cow Carolyn!  How is that happening? Do you have Osteoporosis?  My gosh no wonder your hurting. 
heal fast, and get cushions to sit on that take the pressure off your spine ((((( )))))

lppenguins

Oct-17

Oh wow, it’s beautiful, I had no idea it was all hand pieced! 20 years?

my grandmother flower garden is over 10 now so I can see it. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-17

lppenguins said:

I need to get my tops on hangers where I can see them. I might get renewed enthusiasm. 

If you do, think about pinning a little paper label on them with the size.  if you're looking for a specific size ("I need to do a baby quitl!  Grandkid needs a twin size!"), having that information available without needing to unfold the top is a true convenience. 

It's easy enough to do before you put the top on the hanger but a real bugger to need to remove every top from the hanger just to see what size it is.  Ya know how I know it would be a convenience???  Cuz I had to unfold all the "big looking tops" to see if it was a queen size!

YDritch

Oct-18

OK, everybody--I've been bad and off the Forum for forever, just popping in now and then to try to catch up; it's impossible.  Hoping that all those hurting are better and that things are either settling down or are at least more tolerable.

DH and I have been pretty much quarantined over the last months.  Did a little social distancing here and there but mostly entertaining ourselves with Hand & Foot, TV, cooking (and eating) and staying indoors.  Have done some some piecing, a block swap, and a BOM, but mostly just picking up, putting down, and rearranging.  Little to no motivation.  

We did decide to bite the bullet, mask up, and head for Utah.  We did Bryce, Zion and Cedar Breaks parks to celebrate Don's big Birthday.  Parks were pretty crowded but most folks were wearing masks there and in the restaurants and shops.  Great trip but always glad to come home.  Funny that while we've been home since February and constantly talk of "getting away," we were just as eager to return home.  And so it goes.  Today I'm attempting to make Leek Soup for the first time.  Missing everyone and keeping my fingers crossed that the Retreat can happen.  xoxo

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-18

Something interesting/weird/sad has happened to one of my quilted wall hangings.

Back in 2004, I bought a batik panel that I made a faux stained glass wall hanging from.   The panel included the center circular design and the 4 border strips.  See below.  Those of you who were at the Quilting Retreat at that time might remember this wall hanging and the class I gave for its construction.

It has been hanging in my sewing room since then.  The lower right corner might have had sunlight on it but because of where it hung on the wall, most of the wall hanging did not receive direct sunlight, only indirect (as what would normally come into a room from other windows).  And there it has hung, for my enjoyment since.

Fast forward to know.  I have a different wall hanging that I'd like to look at, so I removed the stained glass wall hanging.  Since it was pretty dusty, I decided that I would *gently* wash it, along with another wall hanging that was going out of rotation.  When I removed them from the dryer, I was smoothing them out prior to folding them for storage when I saw the most startling thing in the stained glass quilt.

MANY of the 'inset' pieces had shattered!  Now, fabric shattering became common with Victorian crazy quilts and silks in the 1920s because of the caustic dyes that were used at the time.  However, *this* piece of fabric was cotton ... but it had been dyed in Malaysia.  Because of the shape of the disintegration of the fabric, I don't believe that the gentle washing had anything to do with it, although I will say that I didn't inspect the piece before washing.  Most of the shattering appears to be along the design lines of a particular shade of purple, so maybe that specific dye is the culprit.

In any case, it is disappointing.  I can't repair it because there is literally *no more* of that batik panel.  The company that produced this line of batiks has been out of business since 2012.  As you know, batiks are unique and I'm not sure I can find anything even vaguely suitable to replace the inset panels.

If I *do* find something that can be used, I'll just needleturn applique the replacement over the existing, ruined portion.  However, it's not holding a prominent position in my List of Things To Do.   Such a shame.

Below is a picture of a shattered portion.  I've put in red arrows pointing to the areas that have disintegrated.  Some areas are completely gone, while others are showing just minimal damage along the purple dye lines.

You can also see what even *indirect* sunlight can do to a wall hanging.  The entire wall hanging is badly faded, both the batik and black background fabric.   

Side note: I have a different wall hanging on a north-facing wall.  This wall hanging NEVER EVER has received direct sunlight.  Never.  And yet, the black fabric background has faded to a soft gray color.  I can only assume that the black dye used for that fabric was ... unstable?    The fabric itself is still sturdy; just the color has been shifted.  I don't remember if this black fabric was Konaa or Joann's or what, but it definitely has not kept it's dark black color.  The wall hanging looks significantly less dramatic than when I first made it.  :-(