Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1519047 views.
judyinohio

Oct-18

Oh, Pirate, that is a very sad story indeed, to learn about your lovely batik wall hanging shattering so badly. I can only guess how heartsick you are about this lovely piece being ruined by the passage of time. You tried to take good care of it but your luck was not good.

My guess would be that the methods used to create your batik fabric were too harsh. If you read this educational link from Dharma Trading Co. you will learn that there are many steps to the process of batik work, thus many places where things can go wrong:

https://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/batik-instructions.html?lnav=techniques.html

I would also venture a guess that perhaps the base fabric that was used might not have been the best but  how could you know that back in 2004?

What a horrid way to get older and wiser ... but thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We will all be very leery about batik panels, that's for sure.

Well that is sad. Guess you can revisit it at a later time and decide what to do with it.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Oct-19

I'm so sorry your wall hanging suffered in this way.  You put a lot of work into that when you really hated the "A" word.  Fortunately you were able to enjoy it in your sewing room for 15 years(+/-).  It has served its life well.  

bornblesse2

Oct-19

Wow Shelley, that is is really unusual!  The fading, I can see.  I expect that with the ones I hang here - but then I do try to change them out several times a year.

but to see that crackling, I have only seen in those older fabrics or something very very worn.  That totally surprises me!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-19

bornblesse2 said:

That totally surprises me!

Yup!  Me, too!

wow.  sorry about that.  I have been surprised how florescent light faded the quilts hanging in my work office, rarely was the window opened, it was 100% artificial light.  And then there is the quilt that has hung in an inside utility bath for 10 years - yup, several of the fabrics definitely faded, others were just fine when I repaired them with the same fabrics out of my stash.  I guess you just never know.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-20

Funny thing is ... I'm not really even that upset about it.  Disappointed, yes.

I'd get right on the repair if I had suitable fabric, but I don't.  So .... it goes to the very bottom of the pile.  I don't think I'll toss it cuz *actually*, if I put ecru bridal tulle over the affected areas and hung it back up, no one would ever see it.  Just like I never saw the deterioration when it was hanging on the wall.

Hmmm .... I just might do that anyway.  Then I can purge it from my List of Things to Fix.  :-)

YDritch

Oct-21

Weather report says 40% chance of rain on Saturday and Cooler weather is predicted here next week.  So glad to hear it.  It's been such a long, hot, boring (and did I say "long"?) summer.

KSCarolyn

Oct-21

Hooray, I can hear again. The ENT said the ruptured eardrum had healed itself but there was a lot of fluid behind the eardrum. He drained the fluid and inserted a tube and now everything is so LOUD. LOL I'm scheduled for Kyphoplasty surgery for my back on Friday the 30th. It's a laparoscopic procedure so I probably won't even spend the night. I'm still in pain but at least there is an end in sight.

Carolyn