Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1574351 views.
LindaPutt

Nov-17

A lot of the programs on this new computer look the same.  The email is driving me crazy though.  It's Windows Mail and I don't like it at all.  So many features that were on Windows Live Mail aren't on there - like setting up groups, knowing which emails are read, keeping items longer than 3 months (especially those in folders that were put there because I thought they were important and may want to refer to them again).  I suppose I'll eventually get used to it but am tearing my hair out at this point.

• Edited November 20, 2020 10:36 am  by  LindaPutt
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-17

Holy smokes!  You don't have the ability to keep emails older than 3 months????  

That's unacceptable and would be a deal breaker for me 

Find another email program!

KSCarolyn

Nov-18

I use Gmail, it is part of the Google family.  If you have Google on your phone you can see your emails there too.  I have both email and calendar on Google and can check both anytime on my computer, phone or Apple watch.

Carolyn

• Edited November 18, 2020 8:30 am  by  KSCarolyn
Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Nov-18

My service provider originally at was centurylink and they had the same thing, you couldn’t actually save emails long term. I never used that email address because of it. I use Yahoo and Gmail instead.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Nov-18

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

Find another email program!

Ed Zackley! 

LindaPutt

Nov-18

Rick's email address is gmail.com and mine is cox.net.  It's not those items that I'm frustrated with.  It's the program that shows those emails and other email extensions on my computer.  My new program, that came with the computer, is called "Windows Mail".  The old email operating program was "Windows Live Mail".  It seemed like a much more user friendly system. 

Are you saying that you can get a program that displays all of your emails, and emails you receive from other's various email addresses, from gmail?

• Edited November 18, 2020 10:13 am  by  LindaPutt
Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-19

LindaPutt said...

I finally got my new computer back from the Geeks who were loading software and data for me so now I can answer posts (this computer is so different than my old one and I'm not sure how to operate everything yet - went from Windows 7 to Windows 10).  

I hear you!  Going to Windows10 IS a big change.  Especially from W7.

LindaPutt said...

Rick's cardiologist is sending him for an angiogram to check to see if there's also blockage anywhere,  Then they can determine the best procedure for him.  It looks like everything's going to take awhile because the holidays will be involved.

I'm glad Rick's Dr was able to get "eyes and ears" on him.  The holidays do slow things and with them already slow due to COVID I'm sure it will feel like a snail's pace.  Just keep taking a day at a time and do your best.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-19

LindaPutt said...

The email is driving me crazy though.  It's microsoft mail and I don't like it at all.  So many features that were on Livemail aren't on there - like setting up groups, knowing which emails are read, keeping items longer than 3 months (especially those in folders that were put there because I thought they were important and may want to refer to them again).  I suppose I'll eventually get used to it but am tearing my hair out at this point.

My DH and I have used Mozilla Firefox (a free open source program) for years.  I have files of some important email dating nearly 10 years ago.  No...  I don't save everything that long but there are some Eagle Scouts and processes I have worked on or with for >8 years and I have found I needed to go back for historical data or details.  Lots easier than going through binders of paper!!

I'm with Shelley!  You don't have to use and then be obligated to MS's email program.  You have the right to choose what works best for YOU!  NOT them.  

Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-19

KSCarolyn said...

I use Gmail, it is part of the Google family.  If you have Google on your phone you can see your emails there too.  I have both email and calendar on Google and can check both anytime on my computer, phone or Apple watch.

DH and I decided long ago not to use Google (Microsoft) or Apple email because we don't want our lives to be impacted, compromised or controlled in any way by these large data gathering monopolies.  The years DH worked at HP he was involved in some proactive internal security issues so he is extremely heightened to using "cloud" services from any company or organization.  We have our own server(s) running behind our private firewall so he knows and manages what goes on as best he can.  We've had multiple attempted server attacks but as of this writing we've remained secure.  

I also don't want to manage email on my phone.  I only give that direct email addy out to specific people for specific reasons.  I get it all via my lap top computer and only forward specific messages that I need when I'm away from my laptop.  But all of this is just the quirky things we choose to do.

KSCarolyn

Nov-19

I hear ya', Judy.  I was married for many years to a System Administrator/IT person and he was so careful and so, so security conscious.  I probably should be more like he was but I feel I have enough Internet knowledge to be able to securely protect myself.  After saying that I will probably be hacked tomorrow.  When we were first married I noticed that the phone number on our checks was not our phone number (back in the day we all had our phone numbers on our checks, crazy huh.)  I asked him about it and he told me it was for security reasons and it was a phone number he saw off of a truck that tells you to call this number if you need to report unsafe driving by the driver.   I missed a call to cancel my hair appointment because my beautician only had this number from our checks.  I was not happy and I also reminded him we were in the phonebook.

Carolyn