Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1576767 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-20

KSCarolyn said...

When we were first married I noticed that the phone number on our checks was not our phone number (back in the day we all had our phone numbers on our checks, crazy huh.)  I asked him about it and he told me it was for security reasons and it was a phone number he saw off of a truck that tells you to call this number if you need to report unsafe driving by the driver.   I missed a call to cancel my hair appointment because my beautician only had this number from our checks.  I was not happy and I also reminded him we were in the phonebook.

Carolyn

LOL!  Sounds like some my DH would do!!

tuckyquilter

Nov-20

Just now catching up on some posts. THIS is a really neat place as I struggle with machine quilting.

I love to piece and make a billion tops, but the basting & quilting always get delayed as I'm a very poor quilter. SITD only lasts so long.. 

I have quilted somewhere around 400 quilts. I began with handquilting and all the designs were marked first.  Then I began on my domestic and just did very simple straight stitching. I finally tried freemasonry and once the fear of ruining the quilt wore off I just loved it. Marking designs is also easier, you can also follow the print of the fabric. My breaking point was stuffing a queen size with a allover design, I broke down and got a longarm and had to learn all over again. I also took in quilts for others and did free charity quilts for my guild. I have not quilted on my domestic in years and last time I tried it was like starting over.

So I will quit waffling on and just want to say get on your machine and just start doing it. Make some dog blankets to practice but just practice. 

judyinohio

Nov-20

Sometimes the computer just doesn't understand what you are saying ...   LOL

"I finally tried freemasonry and ......."

Ya know I saw that after I posted but since I use my phone to post and that takes time I figured all if you would know what I meant. 

judyinohio

Nov-20

But now when I approach Lily Aurora to do some freemotion work I might have an attack of the giggles ..... wink

One sad thing I have figured out since I got my pacemaker implanted in my chest is that pantograph work is not going to be good for me. I thought I felt something "funny" when I was doing panto work on a small quilt and I instinctively moved more to the side of the head of my HQ Avante instead of standing so close to it. (You know, instead of standing with my elbows really close to my sides, I moved my arms to a more open position so I could be back away from the wheel.) The "funny" tingle stopped.

So I after I was done with the pantograph work I did some checking on the pacemaker company's website about the magnets in home appliances (like sewing machines) and yeah, that can be a problem with their pacemakers. And so can the magnets in my induction cooktop.

I said some bad words.

• Edited November 20, 2020 6:59 pm  by  judyinohio

I guess you just need to figure out the best position for yourself while quilting so you keep the pacemaker happy.

Midkid5

Nov-20

Tucker, do you have a walking foot?   I follow a pattern designer, she does almost all of her quilting a horizontal wavy line with a walking foot.  If she hadn't mentioned it you won't notice.

So get some fusible batting, baste and quilt.  Anyone who loves quilts is not going to criticize your quilting.

Jo

glad it gave you that tingle and you recognized it.  I've seen warning signs around but my dad never mentioned it being a problem when he got his.  But as a man, it probably never occurred to him to comment on it to anyone.

KSCarolyn

Nov-24

I have never felt the "tingle" and have not ever had a problem with my pacemaker.  I think pacemakers are more advanced now and less susceptible to outside stimulations.  The only thing I hated was giving up was my TENS unit for my back.  The electrical stimulation always felt so good for a sore back.

Carolyn