Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1839492 views.
bornblesse2

3/14/21

I missed the zoom Yesterday, as I was at work.  It was slow for a Saturday - except for when we first opened and everyone dropped by.  
did you find your missing quilt top?

today I aim To go through more charity fabric to see what I can do with them.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/14/21

No, some of them were planned, some of them were experiments. 

Suze (casuzenn)

3/14/21

I did some stitching too...

Worked on the hand quilting for G’s Fair Quilt (do not know what its real name will end up being yet). The Velcade shots tend to cause some neuropathy…and the nurses ask me every time before I get one if my fingers are tingling or if I have lost of fine motor control.  They did not TELL me that I could injure my fingers if I sewed…but evidently, it turns out I did – they still hurt today. Index finger and thumb on right hand are still very tender. I am looking at trying to wear the leather tips from a pair of doeskin gloves to see if I can tolerate hand stitching at all. I will be SOOOOO mad if this stupid disease treatment robs me of doing handwork. I still have many handwork projects to finish – the ‘For Anne’ basket needs to be appliqued, the Fair quilt needs to have more hand quilting and embroidery to make the Fair buildings and Ferris Wheel, the Prairie Flower quilt is about a quarter done and Is totally hand pieced. There are others too. Maybe my fingers will toughen up. One can hope.....

I probably should not start anymore handwork projects at the moment....

And here I was thinking I would be able to do a lot of hand stitching during the hours I will be hooked up to the apheresis machine....bah...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/14/21

Suze (casuzenn) said:

I will be SOOOOO mad if this stupid disease treatment robs me of doing handwork. I still have many handwork projects to finish

A totally reasonable reaction.  You have Things To Do and this treatment regimen is putting a cramp in your style.

I hope you are able to continue your handwork. 

5dogmom (CRISR5)

3/15/21

Would knitting or crochet be possible?

Cris in MT

Suze (casuzenn)

3/15/21

dunno...have not tried crochet since I started the regimen ... (I am an abysmal knitter...I can do garter and stockinette, but don't ask me to do tricks!)

I suppose I could try. Might help me keep my sanity!

At least I SHOULD be able to do machine stitching.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

3/15/21

maybe you are gripping things tightly?  Do you normally use a thimble?  that might help as well.  I definitely understand your frustration/disappointment - having handwork as a backup is so much more enjoyable than stupid games on my phone.  there is also reading if you just can't handle the needle pressure.  hugs and more hugs for you friend.

Suze (casuzenn)

3/15/21

When I was quilting, it seemed like it was the same pressure as I have always used...and yes...I do use a thimble...on my middle finger (so that one is still ok!)  Pain is fading a bit...thumb is almost back to normal but index finger is still got sharp stuff going on. I have found one of the doeskin glove tips...I 'think' I can learn to stitch with that on...have to try it.

And maybe not try to do so much in a day! And maybe not let so much time go by between stitching sessions?? 

In days gone past, I remember having to drag a book around everywhere...mobile is way easier, though the print is much smaller!

There might be some needlework like embroidery where you use a non sharp needle that will be easier on the hands.