Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1879972 views.
judyinohio

Jul-29

Hot pants?!  Did you say "hot pants"?  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Here I am in May, 1971, wearing a hot pants outfit and a straight hair wig, both items purchased at the BX prior to a party at Wurtsmith AFB. Our son (age 3) got tears in his eyes when he saw my "hair hat" and I had to take it off and reveal my curly brighter red hair to reassure him that his real mommy was still there under the wig.

The only way I could have fashionable straight hair was to wear a wig ....

Oh, remember back in the 1980s, when dresses looked somewhat like the ones from the 1880s?  LOLOL  Long gathered skirts, long or short huge puffy sleeves, big collars, some with lace?  I had a few of those dresses, wore them to work and church, and thought they were very dressy and classy.  I especially liked the ones with "sailor" collars and drop-waist, but the high-waisted gathered ones too.  They were EVERYWHERE in the 1980s.  On The Golden Girls, Rose had a green one with a huge "pilgrim" collar.  A lot of people also called them "prairie dresses."  It was a very feminine look at the time.  If you wore one of those dresses today, you would look like the 54th wife in a polygamous cult.  LOL  I worked in law offices for several years, and it was a long time before I stopped wearing dresses or skirts and pantyhose every day - yikes!  I guess I was one of the last ones to switch over to "pant suits" and later slacks and tops.  Long before "casual Friday" and wearing jeans to the office.  Hah!  But I digress.

Some time after the popularity of those dresses had waned, you could find a lot of the dresses and skirts in thrift stores, and it was a GREAT source of fabric, because many of those dresses were 100% cotton, great quality fabric.  Top brand names too - I found L.L. Bean, even Neiman-Marcus, but especially LAURA ASHLEY.   Sometimes you could "harvest" several yards of fabric from just one dress, with those long, gathered skirts and sleeves!

Just Google "Laura Ashley 1980s" and see what you get!  (I had a sailor dress almost like that last one, and I loved it so much!)

viola (sissly4)

Jul-29

So far I am enjoying the book.Yes I hope I can get around when it is cold.

bornblesse2

Jul-29

Yup,  that was my high school look for sure!  My only difference was my hair was shorter as I couldn’t grow it that long.

bornblesse2

Jul-29

Dee, sometimes there are women who will take wedding dresses to make Angel gowns - wear for stillborn babies .  A sad topic, but when I decide to give up my dress, I’d like it to be repurposed for that…..

Or, some women make them into christening gowns for their grandchildren (if the daughters don't want to wear Mom's dress for their own weddings).  Either thing is a very sweet thing to do with a wedding dress.

I have been married twice (10 years apart), and both of my dresses were off the rack, so nothing special.  (I could say the same about the marriages themselves.  *smirk*  Should have listened to Mom and Dad!  LOL)  

Wow! Your daughter really looks like you.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-29

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

especially LAURA ASHLEY. 

I was trying to remember that name!! I had several Laura Ashley outfits..everyone did! The most annoying thing about them was you HAD to iron them before wearing...good ole cotton!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-30

hot pants????    

dang.  :-)