Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 109077 views.
judyinohio

Mar-30

That is certainly a lot of itsy-bitsy pieces to keep track of and stitch in place.  My hat is off to you.  clap

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-30

judyinohio said:

That is certainly a lot of itsy-bitsy pieces to keep track of and stitch in place.

You haven't seen the blocks that have some REALLY small pieces .. ones that I cussed out regularly.

I do two different approaches: one is basting along the seamline ... that's for big pieces or pieces that don't have a lot of intricate ins-and-outs.  The other is a fusible, water-soluble stabilizer that I cut out per the template and wrap the fabric around the edges, gluing them down.  I use the second method when the pieces are REALLY small or if there are lot of tight turns.   The stabilizer will dissolve when the top gets laundered.

There are 49 interior floral blocks.  To date, I've done 29, leaving 20 to do.
There are 32 border blocks (smaller than 12").  I haven't done any of those.

So, I have a goodly span of time to work on this particular Forever Project.  :-)

Very hot collection as Pirate said. Nice!

That definitely will be a hummmmmdinger!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-31

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

Japanese Iris.

Beautiful!  Maybe this won't be a "forever" project.

judyinohio

Mar-31

I am really enjoying the process of assembling this kit. I have strips draped over a vintage wooden drying rack and thus far (working on eighth triangle) it has been a lot of fun.

This quilt making process will be interrupted when I start working on the new polymer clay class tomorrow.  It's a darned shame that I have to grocery shop, cook meals and do the laundry in between all the serious hobby stuff I have planned. wink

I am making a few blocks each day on my orange and blue improve quilt. I cut a total of 19 squares each of orange and blue at 15" inches. Then I paired them one blue with one orange and am creating those wonky quarter circle strips so in the end there are two arcs of color rinning thru each background. I am gonna try a few that have 3 arcs just to add some interest. I have an idea where this is going but with any improve the quilt can evolve as it progresses.

Mishii

Mar-31

I am making a piano key border to finish my Squished Pineapple quilt.

This is the last project that was started/worked on during my time in Big Spring.  This was not a happy time of my  life and it feels quite liberating to be able to completely close this chapter.

Colleen was doing an absolutely gorgeous red and black quilt at retreat a couple of years ago.  I really really liked it and wanted to do something similar.  I couldn't do red/black because those are Texas Tech colors.  Given that I was living in Lubbock at the time, anything that is red/black immediately becomes a Tech item.  So I decided to make it blue and black.  I think this color combo is quite striking.

I had never made a pineapple quilt, but in looking at it I figured it was just a version of a string quilt so how hard could it be, right?  I also had the thought that the price of a pineapple ruler was not justified. (Spoiler:  It is)   Well, I don't know how hard it could be, but since I'm a math/geometry moron, my version is somewhat different than the traditional pineapple quilt.  I embraced my half ass techniques and soldiered on even when it was painfully obvious that I probably should have looked up a tutorial or something.

I really don't like wasting hours of work so I figure non quilting people won't know that it really isn't supposed to look like that.  I'm going with the story that my pineapples fell off the truck....slightly flattened, a little bruised, some badly mangled, but still fun.

What is not fun is a piano key border made of 1.5" strips.  I'll post a picture after I get all 573843 border strips put together.