Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 291519 views.
MarciainMD

10/17/19

Thanks Lynne.  Yes, I'm enjoying working at the sewing machine again. I missed it.  A photo will definitely be posted!

lavenderloco

10/17/19

So, I love your idea for the new Hawaiian appliqué project....I love batiks! However, I am curious why you aren't using your Scan n Cut to cut the fabric?  I don't have the machine myself but have heard you can do this.....just wondering. 

Donna in Oklahoma

Samsmom94

10/17/19

I finished the turtle turtle quilt top and finished binding a not-your-run -of-the-mill bear baby quilt.

Cari

judyinohio

10/17/19

Cari, you have done wonderful work with both of those quilt projects.  The Turtle Star quilt is absolutely dazzling and I could look at it for hours while the quilt with bears looks like you took the fabrics out of my bedroom closet.

You done good, girl!  clap

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/18/19

Donna, I actually did do that once.  The SnC *does* cut fabric and quite nicely too.

The reason why I didn't this time is twofold.  One is that there is a certain amount of prep that needs to be done the the fabric.  Fabric needs to be *stiff as a board* to be accurately cut.  It can't be flimsy or wiggle around on the cutting mat.  You can do this in a couple of ways, depending on the type of applique you're going to do (machine? Hand?)

I do hand applique and would need to also wash out the stiffener before I could do my needleturn. And then wait for it to dry  ... or iron it dry .. all extra steps, which is obnoxious. 

The technique I use for my needleturn is to trace the finished shape on the right side of the fabric, do a long stitch along the seamline,  trim away the excess, and turn under the seamline.  

And because of this technique,  I don't need the applique to be cut into the right shape; having it done so is a actually a hindrance. 

Now if it was a machine applique where you have fusible on the reverse and you *do* need the shape to be cut out, then yeah, the Scan n Cut would work very well.  But I dont do that kind of applique. 

latterberry

10/18/19

Wow! That turtle quilt is beyond amazing!

MarciainMD

10/18/19

They are both wonderful quilts!  The turtle quilt is amazing.

Caring you have been busy. Love the turtle quilt and the beAR quilt.

Suze (casuzenn)

10/18/19

That Turtle Star is something else!! Love it...

Like that you did a 'not traditional' bear quilt as a baby quilt...the wee one will be able to enjoy that for years!

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

10/18/19

that turtle quilt is very cool, was that a pattern?  I love the unique turtle in the middle of a traditional lone star. Reminds me of the southwest style quilts