Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 252996 views.
judyinohio

10/23/19

Is that a basket of freshly-laundered quilt fabric next to the dog?  You created a terrific story block  for your friend to remind her of her happy days in Maryland  and of your quilting group that had one dog-lover. 

You really let your creative juices flow with this one, Marcia.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

10/23/19

Very fun quilt block and GOOD call with including a dog!  LOL!

Again, you are most entirely welcome for the cat fabric.

Cris in MT

MarciainMD

10/23/19

Thanks Ami.  I tried to make it fun with the dog among the cats.

MarciainMD

10/23/19

Thanks Judy.  I really had fun making it!

MarciainMD

10/23/19

Thanks Cris.  As soon as I saw that dog fabric in my stash I chuckled mischievously and got to work!

cosmostar

10/23/19

Great ideas for your block!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/23/19

I can't believe it.  The achievable has occurred.    I have FINISHED all the applique for my Deco Garden Forever Project™!!

The last block: 

I also TRIMMED all 49 of the floral blocks (to 12.5"), all 28 border blocks (trimmed to 12.5" long but left the width untrimmed so I would have options for the final trim after quilting).   The 4 corner blocks were untrimmed, as they matched the width of the border blocks.   Here are all those trimmings:

Tonight starts the assembly process.  There is a 1.5" sashing that goes between all the blocks.  That means The Time Has Come to for me to commit as to where each and every floral blocks goes.    Other than the 3 blocks that go center top and bottom, it really doesn't matter which block goes where.  I think all I really need to do is be concerned with a "nice" color distribution and not cluster a particular color in one area.

There are (7) 12" blocks and (6) 1.5 sashings per row.  That's 93" across (i.e. the width).  Fortunately, my "design wall", which is a king size flat sheet hung in front of 2 bookcases, will accommodate that width.

Unfortunately, there are 7 rows.  That means the length of the top (without the border) is ALSO 93".  My "design wall" will NOT accommodate that length.  So, I will not be able to see all 49 floral blocks at one time to ensure a nice distribution of colors.  I think a work around will be to take a picture of the top, as much as can be pinned to the sheet, to be used as a reference.  Then work on the lower rows and hope that color distribution works out OK.

But, kinda like Scarlett O'Hara .. I'll worry about that tomorrow. :-)