Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 242237 views.
cosmostar

10/23/19

Great ideas for your block!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/23/19

I can't believe it.  The achievable has occurred.    I have FINISHED all the applique for my Deco Garden Forever Project™!!

The last block: 

I also TRIMMED all 49 of the floral blocks (to 12.5"), all 28 border blocks (trimmed to 12.5" long but left the width untrimmed so I would have options for the final trim after quilting).   The 4 corner blocks were untrimmed, as they matched the width of the border blocks.   Here are all those trimmings:

Tonight starts the assembly process.  There is a 1.5" sashing that goes between all the blocks.  That means The Time Has Come to for me to commit as to where each and every floral blocks goes.    Other than the 3 blocks that go center top and bottom, it really doesn't matter which block goes where.  I think all I really need to do is be concerned with a "nice" color distribution and not cluster a particular color in one area.

There are (7) 12" blocks and (6) 1.5 sashings per row.  That's 93" across (i.e. the width).  Fortunately, my "design wall", which is a king size flat sheet hung in front of 2 bookcases, will accommodate that width.

Unfortunately, there are 7 rows.  That means the length of the top (without the border) is ALSO 93".  My "design wall" will NOT accommodate that length.  So, I will not be able to see all 49 floral blocks at one time to ensure a nice distribution of colors.  I think a work around will be to take a picture of the top, as much as can be pinned to the sheet, to be used as a reference.  Then work on the lower rows and hope that color distribution works out OK.

But, kinda like Scarlett O'Hara .. I'll worry about that tomorrow. :-)

judyinohio

10/23/19

You have digital photos of each one of the 49 blocks, don't you?

Would you be willing to print out small copies on plain computer paper of each digital photo, cut them apart and use a glue stick to work out a "map" of your quilt to use as a guide for piecing them together? 

It might be a day of tedious work but then again it might be a reminder of grade school map-making and give you a grin or two. After all these months of work some tedious planning time might be in order (says the woman who would like to help with such a "map" but who lives far, far away.)  Plan the schematic and take a photo of it to find subtle errors ...

latterberry

10/24/19

Marcia, that is one cute block!--and so thoughtful with all the details you put in it.  I bet it brings tears to her eyes.  

latterberry

10/24/19

Oh, my!  Totally amazing!  I wonder just how many miles of thread you used to do all of that applique?   I do some  applique, but only easy curves and no "fiddly" stuff.  Your talents are awesome.

I just had cataract surgery in both eyes ( a couple of weeks apart) and am struggling to adjust.  Although Much of my eyesight is improved, I can no longer see the up close and fine stuff--all blurry.  Hopefully in 3 weeks things will settle down and new prescription glasses will help.  Right now, I put on my DH's readers and I can see to thread a needle.  So, I couldn't even imagine doing the fine work that you do.

latterberry

10/24/19

Good thinking, Judy.  

MarciainMD

10/24/19

Thanks Lynne.  I'm looking forward to giving it to her.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/24/19

judyinohio said:

Would you be willing to print out small copies on plain computer paper of each digital photo, cut them apart and use a glue stick to work out a "map" of your quilt to use as a guide for piecing them together? 

that *is* a good idea.  I'll see what my patience level is.  :-)