Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 168745 views.
judyinohio

Nov-17

Sounds silly but I'm thinking about flowers for spring by starting to work with polymer clay again. You might recall that I've grumbled about squirrels burying acorns in the very large pots on my terrace  These rascals return in the spring to dig up the acorns and also dig up my newly-planted wax begonias which I find highly annoying.

Okay, this coming year I will not plant wax begonias. I will plant a bunch of polymer clay posies, birds and bugs and such on long metal stakes. I started this collection last summer and I will add to it by spending the winter creating oodles more.

Here's a 21 o'clock flower for starters.  (You do recall your grandmothers planting four o'clocks, don't you?)  This thing has 21 yellow dots around its center ... hence the peculiar name.  It is not on a stake yet, just resting on the bowl I used to shape it for baking but you get the idea ... large red petals, smaller red petals, some stuff in the center, drooping on a glass bowl and baked until firm.

And I'm off and running on creating strange blossoms for my flower pots for the 2020 gardening season.  grinning 

I will never try to create a "real" flower ... only aiming for cartoon-ish ones.

Midkid5

Nov-17

I love it, it looks great.  Been wondering what you and your clay have been up to.

Jo

judyinohio

Nov-17

Thanks, Jo.  I spent the past four weeks making some small gifts from denim jeans parts (turning jeans legs into little pots) for stocking stuffers but that got old so it was time to go back to spontaneous claying again. 

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-17

red flower is seriously cute!

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-17

'Miss MaryJane the Pirate Gecko' is now a top...I am not extraordinarily pleased with the satin stitching...my machine just does not have a good setting for satin stitch and oh lordy, I was NOT going to go over it 3 times - twice was once too much already!!!...sigh..oh well...borders are on and it should be ready for quilting soon. 

Ellen...can we show pictures of the QuiltMama stuff before Retreat?

judyinohio

Nov-17

Thanks, Suze.   That is what I aim for with this polymer clay hobby ... cute fun things.

I am not trying for "art" and I don't take what I do all that seriously .... this is supposed to be a relaxing and fun hobby. After years of being so serious with needlepoint, counted cross stitch and quilting where a certain amount of accuracy is required this clay can be like  "kindy-garter" stuff in that there is so much leeway and room for error.

If you don't like your first effort, smush it up and try again. Unlike a cutting error in fabric, you can squish the clay back together and re-cut over and over and over.  Tee hee.

Then there are the polymer clay artists who make awesome realistic sculpted figurines that are to die for ....  way above my pay grade. Those are the clayers who come from a fine arts background and charge thousands of dollars for their pieces. Sigh.

judyinohio

Nov-17

Suze (casuzenn) said:

'Miss MaryJane the Pirate Gecko' is now a top.

That certainly is a doozy of a name for a quilt.  Is Miss MaryJane friendly or fierce? 

playing with the clay sounds very relaxing, like PLay doh but you get to keep it.  My kids went through a clay phase, mostly making Christmas ornaments.  We still have a few on the tree- which will be coming out in a couple of weeks.  Yikes where did the year go?

latterberry

Nov-18

That is one humdinger of a beautiful flower!  A whole bunch of them together would look like a pot of zinnias.  I hope you make some orange and yellow ones.  Is that you name stamped or written in the center?