Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 168223 views.

aww, I don't think he looks mean at all.  More kind of pensive and wistful looking.  I think it's the big open round eyebrows.  He doesn't have Angry Eyes.

tuckyquilter

Nov-19

I'm stealing Angry Eyes. To use on my kids when I do Text Msg.  or such.. LOL

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-19

oh gosh that is a cute Varmint Chaser!!

MarciainMD

Nov-19

Your Varmint Chaser is so ugly he's cute!  We MUST see a photo of him next year among the flowers.  Please?

MarciainMD

Nov-19

Judy, I just got back from Joann's purchasing Christmas fabric for stockings for DD and her family.  Their stockings were ruined in the flood caused by Hurricane Dorian.  While in line at the cutting station I saw a fellow quilt guild member.  She had a cart full of fabric bolts.  She told me about this great pattern for napkins.  She's making tons of them for gifts.  And now I get home and see your link for the same thing!  I guess that means I have to make some.wink

• Edited November 19, 2019 2:47 pm  by  MarciainMD
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Nov-19

judyinohio said:

large red petals, smaller red petals, some stuff in the center, drooping on a glass bowl and baked until firm.

Looks like this one is signed .  I love your creativity coming up with original flowers.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Nov-19

I made some of these a few years ago.  They look so nice and are not difficult.    Hope you try them.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-21

As you might (or might not remember), I am working steadily on my heritage scrapbook albums, which doesn't leave much time for dedicated quilting or sewing.  However, as my paper craft room is adjacent to my sewing room, I am constantly hearing the siren call of my sewing projects.  I recently succumbed to that call and finished a kit that I had recently bought.

"Tivoli Garden" by Anne Rowan was a complete kit that I bought at a second-hand/second chance vendor at the 2019 Pacific International Quilt Festival.  The finished top is about 46"x64", a nicely sized, personal throw.

When you look at the components, you'll see that the most difficult part of this quilt is making (and triming to size) all of the half-square triangles.   Everything else is strictly slab-o-borders.  I knew that if I started this top, it could be completed in fairly short order.  

The beauty of this quilt is that a floral panel is used as the center medallion and a ribbon stripe (cut in half lengthwise) is used as the borders that frame the half-square triangles.

The designer used an ingenious coping technique in the construction of this top.  The borders of half-square triangles is supposed to exactly fit the previous border.  If you don't get the math right for the previous border, the edge that the half-square triangles gets sewn on to won't be the correct length.   

So, what the designer did was to put an "extra" plain fabric block in the middle of the half-square triangle side borders.  Look closely and you'll see it.  You can vary the size of that "extra" block to fit the space you have between the top and bottom sections.  Your eye just never picks it up.

I found that there was *no* such extra block on the top & bottom borders (as there was on the sides).  As a result, the middle half-square triangles didn't meet quite exactly as they should in the center.  But, since the chevron design is maintained, I'm not bothered by that mismatch.  

Life goes on.  :-)

LABFIEND

Nov-22

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

"Tivoli Garden"

When I first read this I saw Troll Garden.......................ROTFL, but it is nice even if it doesn't have any trolls!!

The fabric definitely makes that. Just love it!