Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 190887 views.
xstchr

Jan-22

That’s a great thing for you to do for your Mom.

CozyQuilts

Jan-23

Thank you!  All 3 will be donated to charity.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Feb-2

Hey there, folks! Putting my Moderator Hat on for a minute to ask a favor. Let's do our best please to keep THIS thread about sewing projects. I can understand how easy it is to get off topic (I'm really good at that myself) but let's have a more general chit chat thread for other stuff. I'll start it, and link it here in a moment. You can also always start new threads both on and off topic as you usually do, we just want to try to keep this one a little more focused on it's original intent of showcasing projects in progress. Thank you!!!

Hey, Misha! Thanks for starting this! 

Recently, I did a lot of minis for my walls at home in sewing room, and then have re-done borders for a quilt for a friend, which I am taking with me to give to my fav LAQ this next week. Can't post pix from here but I'll put links later. :) 

I love seeing what sewing/quilting projects people are working on!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-2

I'm continuing to work on my Smooshed Hexies .. all hand-stitched.  I think I am approaching the end of the Tunnel with this project.  This last little bit is to put accent hexie flower units along the green hexie border.  It looked a little bare otherwise.

When you look at the photo below, you'll see 2 red arrows pointing to the accent flower units that I'm currently working on.  These hexies are 1" on a side.

MarciainMD

Feb-2

Gorgeous!  Some of the ladies work on hexies at our quilt guild meetings and I've always admired them.  Maybe I could start with a small project to see if I can do that much hand sewing.  Might have to start searching for some little patterns.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-2

Here's what I did, simply because although I theoretically liked the idea of hexies for handwork (it's VERY portable!), I wasn't sure if the reality of hexies was going to float my boat.

So, I got a BIG hexie template ... like 2" along a side.  (Note: the way to measure a hexie template is along one side.  NOT top to bottom.  Not point to point.  I got royally messed up with my first set of templates because they were measured incorrectly).

When you look at a 2" hexie, you'll see that it really is big.  And because you join SIX hexies in a ring, around a center hexie .... all the same size ... that 2" hexie results in a HUGE flower unit.  The advantage of this?   That big flower unit covers a LOT of real estate and it doesn't take very long to to make.

The steps to English Paper Piecing hexies (which is the method I use .. there are others) is:
1. cut the fabric to size.  Some people cut hexie shaped fabric .. that's a waste of time for me.  I cut a big enough square of fabric.  True, it doesn't look neat and tidy on the back of the template, but when you've made your quilted item, NO ONE is going to see the back.  I don't have enough time to spend on cutting hexie shaped fabric pieces.  

2. wrap the fabric around the template.  Secure the fabric in some manner.  Note: there are MANY ways of doing this.  Some people glue the fabric, some sew *through* the (paper) template, some do a back-stitch on the overlapping corners.   There are pros and cons to each method.  Find a a technique that feels good to you otherwise, you'll quit.  There is no Quilt Police .. any technique is fine.

3. Keep the template in the fabric until the hexie is completely surrounded by other hexies.  The template gives you a firm edge to stitch against.  Once a hexie is completely surrounded, you can remove the template.

4.  repeat, repeat, repeat.  :-)

Then ... templates are reusable!  They aren't "use once and toss".  Even the paper ones.  I make my templates out of copy paper (because I have a lot of waste from my printer) and even when that paper gets "less firm", I STILL use it.  :-)

When I was first experimenting, I discovered that I *did* like the entire process and eventually stopped making my 2" hexies.  With the ones that I did make, I created a table runner with a whole bunch of them stitched together and some placemats with the singletons.  Then I "got serious" and started using smaller templates.  The work was faster, simply because you're working on a shorter side length but the downside is that you need to make a LOT of smaller hexies to make something usable.  :-)  But, boy, does this make for an excellent Forever Project™!!!   :-)

Push come to shove, if you just Do Not Like the hexie process, I'm sure that one of the ladies from your guild would be happy to give yours a new home. :-)