Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 207642 views.

I love how our ladies live on! Thanks for sharing, Cathy!

LABFIEND

Feb-10

Midkid5 said:

Funny, thoughts of Linda were on my mind today.

I was going thru some stuff from previous retreats and found some temporary tattoos of a owl with Linda's name under them.

MarciainMD

Feb-10

It's a lovely quilt, especially knowing where it originated.  It's good that it will be loved after all these years.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-11

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

That is wonderful on many levels.

Next I have to complete some owl blocks she made and get them into a quilt.  Will make the quilts smaller for younger children.  May get 2 out of them.  I love working with UFO's or even fabric that I know came from Chris or Linda.

Your cat quilt looks great for some lucky child. 

I know the feeling of working with something from the stash of one who is no longer with us.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-20

At our Quilting Retreat (gosh .. just last weekend!), I was lucky enough to have my name drawn for the goodie table.  I chose a bundle of 5 fat quarters.  They weren't a color palette that I normally would have chosen but this was a good opportunity to try something new.  

Back at home, I was looking for FQ friendly layouts.  I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on another large, bed-sized quilt (which is the size I normally make) and I didn't want to add a whole lot of other fabrics to the FQ bundle.  I knew that if I didn't sew something with those fat quarters NOW, they would sit and languish for who knows how long.

I found an interesting layout called "Parcel Quilt" designed by Michelle Engle Benckso.  The free PDF is available from Cloud 9 Fabrics.   I didn't have the number of fat quarters that the directions called for, so I simply made my top as big as I could.  My version is about 53"x58" ... a nice size for a personal throw.

The fat quarters that I won are the triangles in the pattern.  The fabric for background and vertical color accents came from my stash.  The multi-colored binding was made from a strip set cut from the fabrics I used for the vertical color accents.

The top **and** the binding are now finished and join the other tops waiting to be quilted.  :-)

judyinohio

Feb-20

That is an interesting layout .... and an interesting name for a layout, too. 

Thanks for sharing.

bornblesse2

Feb-20

That’s a nice layout!  It must have been fast and easy to already be put together!  I’ve not even put my machine back into place.....

I've gotten to spend a few evenings in my sewing room.  I quilted the last of my I spy tops and now have 4 to bind.  The only unfinished top in my closet now is the applique I'm planning to send to Ami.  Maybe.  Unless I get to feeling cheeky and brave.  It was sooooo nice to spend time in there.

Suze (casuzenn)

Feb-20

sheesh!!! already?? I like this layout...and the binding will just add a pop at the end.