Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 209378 views.

Thanks so much for the explanation.  I'd never heard of that technique.

I did regular needle turn appliqué years ago, when I had more patience, I suppose!

I do raw edge appliqué with machine blanket stitch on children's quilts, usually because I don't want to spend the time on regular needle turn.

I'll definitely look up Nancy Lee Chong.  You were so lucky to get personal instruction from her!

Hawaiian appliqué is definitely on my to-do list.  Yours are just great!  Congratulations!

P.S.  How long does it take you to complete one block ?

bornblesse2

Feb-26

I like that Hawaiian. Block pattern!  Does it have a name?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-26

Patricia Drew (PatriciaDrew) said:

P.S.  How long does it take you to complete one block ?

It varies.  Definitely depends on how complex the design is .. how many tight curves and how many "extensions" from the center there are.  Skinny points aren't a problem because Nancy Lee Chong addresses this technical aspect.

The block I just finished (the first lavender batik block) went very fast ... it had very easy curves to navigate.

latterberry

Feb-27

Such a beautiful block.  How long does it take you to complete one?

bornblesse2

Feb-27

Well now, a fiddlehead fern....interesting name!

judyinohio

Feb-27

And it's a common plant in my part of the world ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern

Remember Marcia showing how she picks and prepares them during their short growing period in Maine?  And she freezes all she can so she will have them during the winter.  She says they are delicious.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-27

It all depends on how complex the design is.  Easy curves go fast.  Lots of extensions take longer.

The block I'm doing now is a real bugger.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-27

judyinohio said:

huge monster of a denim quilt that I cannot "wrassle" under the needle of Cecil Faye.

That's what I have an issue with lately.  If a quilt is too heavy, it aggravates my shoulders, esp. the right one, and then I'm in pain.