Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 209417 views.

Remember Marcia showing how she picks and prepares them during their short growing period in Maine?  And she freezes all she can so she will have them during the winter.  She says they are delicious.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-27

It all depends on how complex the design is.  Easy curves go fast.  Lots of extensions take longer.

The block I'm doing now is a real bugger.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-27

judyinohio said:

huge monster of a denim quilt that I cannot "wrassle" under the needle of Cecil Faye.

That's what I have an issue with lately.  If a quilt is too heavy, it aggravates my shoulders, esp. the right one, and then I'm in pain.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-27

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

. this is the first of the lavendar batiks.

That was quick.  You just posted the last one.  Beautiful as usual.

judyinohio

Feb-27

And that's when I go and fiddle with my back-up hobby, polymer clay.  When the major love of my life (quilting) gets to be too painful I go to my other love, polymer clay which is a lot less stressful on major muscle groups.

Perhaps there's another hobby you'd like to learn.

Sketching with pastel chalks?

Stringing beads? (Hobby Lobby has sets of beads to die for) 

Watercolor portraits?

Or an old hobby you'd live to revive ..... counted cross-stitch or some other hobby that doesn't  work your shoulders too much.

• Edited February 27, 2020 4:04 pm  by  judyinohio

I was impressed that you got it so straight as you sewed. That's the thing that irritates me so much on those wedge borders is that they don't sew looking straight...LOL!!!!!!

Great idea to have a back-up hobby!  I love to draw, I have all the paraphernalia, but somehow it always takes a back seat to quilting.

Might be a good idea to do some drawing from time to time, so that if and when pain makes quilting less pleasant, I'll have something to fall back on, and won't have to start a new hobby from scratch.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-28

My back-up hobby is paper crafting: card making and scrapbooks.

Well .. correction ... what I'm currently focusing on is my heritage scrapbooks, so I can properly preserve and document all those vintage photographs and stories.  It's frustrating as all get-out that I can't multi-task the scrapbooking and quilting.   It has occurred to me that I *could* time slice these two hobbies but I know from experience that once I'm on a roll for an activity, I do *not* want to give it up to work on something else.

Since there are a finite number of vintage photos (on all sides of our respective families), I know that EVENTUALLY I will come to the end of the tunnel.   Unlike my quilting UFOs and new projects, of which there is an UNENDING source.  :-)

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-29

judyinohio said:

Perhaps there's another hobby you'd like to learn.

I've been rejecting other hobbies as I really enjoy my quilting(and I have a lot of fabric to use up!)  I'm going to try avoiding marathon cutting days and other activities that seem to aggravate it.  Another quilting friend tries to point out other things I could do and I say I have to use my stash.  No room for additional supplies.

judyinohio

Feb-29

Sounds to me like maybe you are being stubborn, Cathy.  relaxed  (I am trying to say that in a kindly way.)

If you would tackle another hobby that gave you a bit of a respite for a few weeks you could come back to quilting with a "refreshed" shoulder ....