Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 231123 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-29

judyinohio said:

Perhaps there's another hobby you'd like to learn.

I've been rejecting other hobbies as I really enjoy my quilting(and I have a lot of fabric to use up!)  I'm going to try avoiding marathon cutting days and other activities that seem to aggravate it.  Another quilting friend tries to point out other things I could do and I say I have to use my stash.  No room for additional supplies.

judyinohio

Feb-29

Sounds to me like maybe you are being stubborn, Cathy.  relaxed  (I am trying to say that in a kindly way.)

If you would tackle another hobby that gave you a bit of a respite for a few weeks you could come back to quilting with a "refreshed" shoulder ....

Mishii

Feb-29

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

I'm going to try avoiding marathon cutting days

Find a permanent spot for your Accuquilt and if you have the crank one, put Bob to work.

Seriously.....have your fabric ready and have him do the cranking.  You will have tons of stuff cut out in minutes and then can just sew.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-1

As I work on my current Hawaiian Applique block, I realized that it was the last one I had prepped.  Mr. PIrate & I have a weekend road trip coming up and I absolutely, positively need handwork to do, otherwise I simply will go mad.

So, I stopped the needleturn to get the rest of the (7) Hawaiian Applique blocks prepped.  Once that is done, then all I need to do is needleturn until all (12) blocks are done.  Tonight, I finished prepping my last block.  hooray!

What does prepping my Hawaiian Applique blocks mean?  

1. Prepare the paper template.  Traditionally, usually, a Hawaiian Applique template is the same as when you make paper snowflakes .. fold a piece of paper in half, in half, in half and then cut a design through all layers.  When you unfold it, you have a "snowflake" ... or Hawaiian applique template.  That's too much manual labor for me.  I use technology!  :-)   I have a Scan-n-Cut digital cutting machine.  I simply found images of "simple" Hawaiian applique designs on the internet, cleaned them up color-wise, brought the image into my Scan-n-Cut and had the machine cut the full size image out for me.  No muss, no fuss, no folds.  :-)

2.  Cut the Hawaiian applique fabric (in my case, batiks) to slightly larger than the template.  Cut the base fabric larger than my finished block.  In my case, the batik is around 11" square and the base fabric is about 13" square (to be finished at 12" square).  Put the batik on top of the base fabric, both right sides up.

3. Plop the full size template onto the right side of the batik.  Trace around the design with a marker.  I like to use a chalk pencil.  This chalked line is the **finished** seam line.  I do not mark the seam allowance.

4. Using  junky thread (in my case, I had some hand quilting thread that I was never going to use again, so I use that, just to use it up), I more-or-less baste on the chalked line.  This is a temporary stitch and I don't take care in uniform stitches.  On long straight aways, I use big, galloping stitches.  On the tighter curves, I take smaller stitches.  This holds the batik securely to the base fabric.  No pins to stick me or catch the applique thread.  I can scrumple the fabric up in my hand and it never shifts.

5. Once the Hawaiian applique design has been basted on the chalked line, I then cut away the excess fabric, leaving a narrow seam allowance outside the basted chalk line.  This is the amount of fabric that I am going to needleturn under.   I can cut away all the excess fabric in the beginning or I can cut away as I go.  It doesn't matter.

6. Now the needleturn applique begins: remove about 2"-3" of the basting thread, turn under the seam allowance and applique in place.  Continue until you're done.  :-)

The first photo shows my (7) prepped blocks.  The topmost yellow batik shows some of the excess fabric trimmed away and you can see the edges of the design.   You can't see the red basting thread because of the busyness of the batik but the thread is there. :-)

The second photo is the reverse of that block and you can clearly see what the finished applique will look like, as shown by the basted line.

And that's what I've been working.

Great tutorial, Pirate.  Many thanks!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-1

Thanks for being kind.relaxed  I'm having a break now because taxes need to be pulled together.  I also love to read and with our Spring and some sunny weather here, I love to take a book outside and and sit in the sun.  When I was doing the work project I did for many years, it was always in the Spring and I spent my time in the office on the computer.  Now that I'm totally retired, I plan to spend some time outside before it gets too hot.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-1

Mishii said:

Find a permanent spot for your Accuquilt

Good idea.  I need more dies .  I have only bought 1, crossed canoes.  I should prep some fabric.  It should turn out well.  I need a break from some of my charity quilting to do something of my own.  This may be it!

Midkid5

Mar-2

This quilt, made with churn dash blocks came with stuff my brother purchased at an auction sale.  The quilt blocks were in good shape.  The quilt itself didn't appear to be quilted, was pillowcased /berthed rather than bound, the sashing was inconsistent in its width and there was big tucks in some of the blocks.  The back felt like a tricot fabric, however a burn test proved in was cotton, guessing well-worn flannel.  I opened the seam to see what kind of batting, at this point I made the decision to sacrifices the quilt to selvage the blocks. Once the backing was removed I found that the horizontal sashing was quilted to the batting, in a "quilt as you go" fashion.

Upon removing the quilting stitches the batting was able to be inspected.  The batting was two layers of pieces of all different kind fabric and sandwich between these fabrics was nylons.  I say nylons because they reminded me more of the heavier hoses my great aunts wore rather than the pantyhose I wore.  I considered taking the batting apart to use some of the cotton pieces for the backing on the "new" quilt, however I realized that many of these pieces were parts of clothing and almost impossible to unstitch without the fabric tearing so gave up on that idea.

I'm keeping the same layout of the blocks as in the original quilt. Due to the fact that there is inconsistency in size and needing to square them up, the horizontal sashing on the blocks will be whatever width needed to make them 12.5" in height, the vertical sashing will all be the same width with the exception of one side.

Jo

• Edited March 2, 2020 2:59 pm  by  Midkid5
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-2

Wow .. that was quite the adventure!

Midkid5

Mar-2

Any guess as to date the fabric?

Jo