Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 230437 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-1

Thanks for being kind.relaxed  I'm having a break now because taxes need to be pulled together.  I also love to read and with our Spring and some sunny weather here, I love to take a book outside and and sit in the sun.  When I was doing the work project I did for many years, it was always in the Spring and I spent my time in the office on the computer.  Now that I'm totally retired, I plan to spend some time outside before it gets too hot.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-1

Mishii said:

Find a permanent spot for your Accuquilt

Good idea.  I need more dies .  I have only bought 1, crossed canoes.  I should prep some fabric.  It should turn out well.  I need a break from some of my charity quilting to do something of my own.  This may be it!

Midkid5

Mar-2

This quilt, made with churn dash blocks came with stuff my brother purchased at an auction sale.  The quilt blocks were in good shape.  The quilt itself didn't appear to be quilted, was pillowcased /berthed rather than bound, the sashing was inconsistent in its width and there was big tucks in some of the blocks.  The back felt like a tricot fabric, however a burn test proved in was cotton, guessing well-worn flannel.  I opened the seam to see what kind of batting, at this point I made the decision to sacrifices the quilt to selvage the blocks. Once the backing was removed I found that the horizontal sashing was quilted to the batting, in a "quilt as you go" fashion.

Upon removing the quilting stitches the batting was able to be inspected.  The batting was two layers of pieces of all different kind fabric and sandwich between these fabrics was nylons.  I say nylons because they reminded me more of the heavier hoses my great aunts wore rather than the pantyhose I wore.  I considered taking the batting apart to use some of the cotton pieces for the backing on the "new" quilt, however I realized that many of these pieces were parts of clothing and almost impossible to unstitch without the fabric tearing so gave up on that idea.

I'm keeping the same layout of the blocks as in the original quilt. Due to the fact that there is inconsistency in size and needing to square them up, the horizontal sashing on the blocks will be whatever width needed to make them 12.5" in height, the vertical sashing will all be the same width with the exception of one side.

Jo

• Edited March 2, 2020 2:59 pm  by  Midkid5
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-2

Wow .. that was quite the adventure!

Midkid5

Mar-2

Any guess as to date the fabric?

Jo

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-2

Sorry, haven't a clue on that one.

Without better photos of the fabrics I am gonna say 50's fabrics. Can't see the back fabrics as well but 40's into 50's?

Midkid5

Mar-2

That's kind of the period I was thinking.  A lot of the fabric has a coarser feel to it.

Jo

Mishii

Mar-2

That's fascinating.  Like a little quilt time capsule.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Mar-2

Oh, Jo!  It looks like you'll have your work cut out for you but what a treasure you have/will have!  I hope you'll post work in progress photos as you go along.

Cris in MT