Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 230706 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

Can't wait to see that top finished. It sure was pretty on the wall.

I am mulling over putting an applique border around it, I think it would take it from beautiful to amazing.

Well I have never quilted faster on my Gammill than the machine wanted to go. I just have to be careful not to start and stop too fast or the stitch regulator will not keep up. There are times when I also want to go ultra slow and it does that too. Most of the big machines do that Gammill, APQS, Innova, Nolting etc.

Go to the Houston quilt festival in the Fall (I am kinda wanting to go too and maybe we can get a few together to go) and test drive all the machines and see which on you like best as they are all very different and there is no one brand better than another............more which one do you like the feel of.........like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda etc,

I will tell you...I don't use them as much as I could, but I do have a huge pinterest folder of "paint schemes", which would make wonderful quilt or scrapbooking themes too.  Sometimes i browse them just for  fun! 

Grey, yellow, and white sound good together :) 

Edit to add the link: https://www.pinterest.com/melkharris/paintscolor-schemes/

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-8

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

Go to the Houston quilt festival in the Fall (I am kinda wanting to go too and maybe we can get a few together to go)

Houston this year (2020) is Oct 29- Nov 1st.   The only time I was there, was in 2004 (that's when I got my stand alone embroidery machine).  BUT .. if y'all are thinking of getting together for a hoot, then I'd be interested in being included. 

But, if so, we'd need to think about accommodations NOW because they go fast.  I wouldn't be surprised if lots of the nearby hotels/motels are already booked.

Cathy (cacnurse1) said...

tuckyquilter said:

Disappearing 4-Patch

Some how that block confuses me.  I can lay it out perfect and when I sew it together it was wrong.  It was our lotto block a few years ago and I think I had to make 20 to get 10 that were acceptable.  I need to try that again.

I got really frustrated with it, too! And I turned in 10 (or whatever the max was) and got 0, so those hours of work went for nothing...too fiddly! LOL! But I love the quilts people make of it, so my pleasure is in seeing the creations! :D 

Mishii

Mar-9

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

if y'all are thinking of getting together for a hoot

I'm planning on going.  I'm only a couple of hours away now.  Of course I planned to go this year too, but my feet said no.

latterberry

Mar-9

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

As I said before I do not doing mystery quilts

My sentiments exactly.  Not just Bonnie, but I don't do any mystery quilts.  I need the big picture in my head to determine colors and I tend to construct my blocks in my own way.  Besides, I don't want  my quilts to closely resemble so may others in one event.  Your stretched chain sounds interesting--would love to see a photo.    

latterberry

Mar-9

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

I prefer the simpler ones mostly because I sew for relaxation.

Same here.  If it is too confusing or too many pieces, I tend to get frustrated and lose interest.  Then it sits in a UFO pile.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

But, if so, we'd need to think about accommodations NOW because they go fast. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of the nearby hotels/motels are already booked.

Dee and I went a few years ago and she booked the hotel. It was not that close to the convention center but much cheaper, near lots of restaurants and close enough to drive easily. The other time I went years ago we stayed at one of the big hotels and it was booked solid with quilters and had a bus pick up and drop off for the show as it was like a mile away (yes those are the close hotels) and we had to wait in long lines for the busses. If there is a car I vote for a bit further away..............parking with Dee and I was not a big deal either and we had a blast. Maybe we should start a thread and see who wants to go.....................Hey Dee are you reading this?

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-9

latterberry said:

Besides, I don't want  my quilts to closely resemble so may others in one event.

It's amazing how different the same pattern can look depending on the fabric choices.  I did a couple of mystery quilts at our retreat and when we showed the results, they all had such a different feel.  I once saw a BQ pattern and looked at the picture and said "Yuk!  I don't like that one."  Then I saw it made up and hanging on the wall of a quilt shop.  It was gorgeous.  That quilt sold the pattern.