Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 231336 views.

You can fit the fabric for a king sized quilt in a gallon bag if it is flat, have used them many times to hold projects.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-14

Looking for directions to sew 4 patches.  yes, I know how to make a 4 patch but I saw a demonstration of making them by sewing the edges on opposite sides together and then what?  I think you make a cut.  I've have tried a couple things that did not work.  I've already cut out the big squares.  If I can't figure this out, I'll just go back to the old way.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-14

I did finish a top for the church quilt group with a panel.  Had the perfect Patrick Lose fabric in my stash.   I've had it many years and am happy to find the perfect project for it.

This is very pretty. Glad you got right on it. I know how letting something sit there goes.  Good job.

judyinohio

Mar-14

Are you asking about how to make this kind of four patches (two at a time) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfu6gIUe5Q

I might use that idea for my denim project because I have five inch squares that could be made into cute four patches.

One simple way is to put 2 squares wrong sides together, and sew on two opposite sides.  (For whatever size 4-patch you want to end up with, start with squares that are at least 1 inch larger.  That should allow for seam allowances and squaring up.)  Then cut that unit in half lengthwise (the same direction you just sewed).  Press seams to one side.  
Then put those 2 units together, nest the center seams, and sew on two opposite sides again.  Then cut that in half lengthwise.  You should then have 2 identical 4-patches.  Spiral the centers and press seams accordingly.  Hope this makes sense.  Lots of YouTube videos showing different ways to make 4-patches. 

Jenny Doan has a tutorial on how to make scrappy 4-patches using a charm pack, but I can't find it right now.  Dang.    

bornblesse2

Mar-14

Ami, I’m glad you liked doing the stretched chains quilt!  I liked mine too!   It was fun to try that scrappy mystery quilt.

bornblesse2 said:

Ami, I’m glad you liked doing the stretched chains quilt!

It is one of my favorite quilts I have made. It just makes me happy every time I look at it!