Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 285478 views.
Midkid5

3/31/20

Ami

I was just watching a video interviewing Kelly Cline who is a vintage linen quilter.  The interviewer remarked how clean Kelly's old linens were compared to her old linens. Kelly said she uses a product called Retro Clean and warm water in a bucket and lets the piece soak for 24 hours or more, rinse and air dry.   

Thought this might be helpful for your thrift store vintage piece.

Jo

Thanks for the comment on the Retro Clean. I have put the piece on a shelf and hope to get it out once we are able to go  back up to Colorado where I have my longarm machine. Right now I am making clothes. Just finished the pair of black wide leg jeans I started in February.

Hi Tucky!  Nice to hear that you're behaving yourself !!!  I'm trying to do the same here.

Still a lot of snow here, but it's begun to melt a bit.  I just hope we don't get any more. 

We actually got a few of us in the chat room, maybe 2-3 weeks ago, but nothing since then.  I guess it's hard to find a day and time that's convenient for everyone.  I guess setting up a few specific days/times would be good as a start.  Then hopefully people would get into the habit.

I see you're as busy as ever!  I've been doing quite a few baby quilts with HST and hour-glass blocks.  HST's in color gradations from one corner of the quilt to the opposite are nice!

Take care of yourself!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/31/20

and ta da!  Here is the last of my (original) Hawaiian Applique blocks.  This is #12.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/31/20

and here, for the first time, are all 12 blocks together.   During the time I was doing the applique, I was also thinking about layouts.  I would prefer not to do an "ordinary" layout and have been actively looking for "interesting" layouts.  I've accumulated a few pictures, but it's curious that there just aren't a whole lot of grid-style layouts for Hawaiian Applique that aren't simple tic-tac-toe styles.   

And then, there's the question of borders.  I want an "interesting" border, too!  Again, I've accumulated some ideas.

So, that is the next step: to assemble the blocks into a pleasing color arrangement, figure out a layout (probably a sashing of some sort) and then a border.  This project isn't *quite" finished. :-)

Also, I will figure out what the more-or-less finished dimensions of the top will be, once I determine the sashing & border.  It's not going to be huge because this 3x4 layout of 12" blocks yields a 36"x48" top at the minimum.  I don't think I'm going to be able to stretch it to produce a twin sized quilt UNLESS I add more blocks.  HOWEVER, if I go that route, I will need to make **8** more applique blocks: 1 more of each of the 4 colors (blue, yellow, lavender, red) and 4 more of a new color to give me a 4x5 layout.  To be honest, I'm *not* particularly in love with the idea of 8 more Hawaiian Applique blocks.   So, maybe a smaller quilt is what I will be satisfied with. :-)

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/31/20

1/4 " elastic is what I have.  I'm cutting 6" for the woman's and 7" for the man's.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/31/20

Pat (bealinfl) said:

i would like to try some, what would be the length of ties? 

I see that Ellen answered you about length for the ties.  I'm out of elastic and will be using ties now.  Someone here suggested shoe laces.  That would be good if you have some.  May put that on my grocery shopping list for the next time.  I have some narrow binding that might even work.  I'll be experimenting.

Nice to see you here.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/31/20

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

all 12 blocks together.

These will make a beautiful quilt.  All your quilts don't have to be king-sized.  A smaller size might get quilted sooner?.......

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/31/20

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

A smaller size might get quilted sooner?.......

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!  Omg, Cathy!  You are hysterical! 

You could put the blocks in a row of 4 on all sides and have a larger square in the center to do one larger block.

Put them all on point and alternate with blank blocks.

Whatever you do it will be a really pretty quilt.