Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 229653 views.
Midkid5 said:

Do you have any trick or tips for getting a sharp pencil tip point on a piece of applique? Haven't done much hand applique and this piece will be washed on a regular basis. Jo

I was trying to answer you this morning and was having problems with the computer. Then I got busy with a sewing project.

In any case I assume you are doing needle turn. Here is what I do. I trim as I go around a piece. Go up one side of the applique and just turn it under and do not worry about any sticking out the other side just yet. When you get to the point take a couple of stitches in one place and trim close at this time. I also use fray check applied with a toothpick to just touch the edge of the fabric to keep it from fraying. Now you can fold and coax the fabric at the tip to go inside the tip a few stitches at a time till you get back to where it is wider again.

I hope that helps, wish I could come over and show ya!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-5

I've been ruminating on the border for my Hawaiian Applique.  I tend to like "interesting" borders and have been collecting ideas.

First up was this applique border that featured scallops along the inside edge.  I liked the look.  Update for credit:  This is a wall-hanging by Pearl Pereira, entitled "Tropical Garden" (P3-167)   

Then came this beauty from Pacific Rim Quilting Company (one of my very favorite applique companies).  This one is their "Delicate Beauty" pattern.  I really do like the continuation of the Hawaiian Applique theme to the border but, ya know?, I'm rapidly approaching burnout on this quilt.  I do want to get it done nicely and not in a slap dash sort of way.  But I'm also not thrilled with the idea of MORE applique time for the border.    But I do like the look.

AND THEN ... bingo.  I found this quilt, made by Lea Anne Brummett, which she calls "Promenading Tulips".  Apparently she had a whole set of blog posts on it, detailing the construction, but those posts are no longer available.  She got the inner scallop idea from the book, "Just Around the Corner" by Kari M Carr .. which, of course, is no longer available.  (I did find it as a used book, which doesn't bother me at all, but I want to know how to do those inner scallops NOW .. not wait for a book to arrive!).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the inner scallops with the contrast band AND the different colored piano keys!  (Not so thrilled with the yo-yo embellishments, so they'll get jettisoned)  How fantastic would that look with the piano keys in the applique fabrics and the contrast scallop (or swag) in a contrasting batik?   Dang!   This was the idea!  But, how to make it???

So, more research ensued.  Lots of photos were examined.  Several practice pieces were constructed .. all dismal failures.  AND THEN .. bingo, part 2.  I found THIS photo which turned on the Light Bulb for me.  The scallop/swag was NOT a separate piece of fabric or a flange.  You sew a *facing* onto the border fabric, place the faced border onto the background fabric and mark the scallops.  Tack at the end points.  Then TURN the faced edge over, onto the border fabric!  VOILA!  The contrast scallop is now showing.  Stitch down the curved edge and you're done.

Ha-cha-cha!   My current brainstorm is to have a wide white TOT border, then make piano keys from all the different Hawaiian Applique fabrics, face that piano key strip with a dark green batik and put the scalloped border onto the white border (like the idea from the first photo).    I think this will work out very well.  I sure hope the execution turns out decently.  :-)

Sometimes, you just gotta let an idea percolate in the back of your brain.

Mishii

Apr-5

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

Sometimes, you just gotta let an idea percolate in the back of your brain.

I didn't understand any of the words in your post, but I bet it is going to be lovely!  Can't wait to see it!

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-5

first photo is Pearl Periera...P3 Designs 

https://www.p3designs.com/shop/Patterns/p/P3167-Tropical-Garden-WallHanging-x11466783.htm

she has some other very interesting borders....

I am sure whatever you some up with will be splendid!!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-5

Suze, you are FANTASTIC!   thank you so much .. the image just was NOT coming up for me!

latterberry

Apr-6

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

Sometimes, you just gotta let an idea percolate in the back of your brain?

Percolate?  I'd say you were more of a Mr. Coffee quick drip the way you come up with such great ideas so quickly!

Midkid5

Apr-6

Messaged you via PM.

Jo