Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 242139 views.
tuckyquilter

Apr-28

Back in the dark ages, when I was in HS (school had 87 students) , my school had a full years of Home Ec:  Grade 9 was sewing,  Grade 10 cooking, Grade 11 was household management/money etc and kind of was a supplement to the Business classes, and senior year was Advanced sewing like formal gowns coats and such.  For the first three years of high school we had a Master teacher named Mrs. Gladys Torrey and she knew everything. I still use some of the recipes we made.  Our senior year we had a open the box/can type Home Ec teacher. as Mrs. Torrey had retired.  In recent times someone from my hometown asked a bunch of us who our favorite teacher was. She and an old school English teacher got the most comments. All good too. 

Like your school the boys had shop classes of all kinds: welding , auto, wood. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-28

Finished the latest batch of face masks for a niece and her family .. a total of 14 masks.   

At the beginning of April, I asked my oldest daughter if she & husband would like masks.  She enthusiastically replied yes and asked if I would make a/some masks for husband's uncle also.  Still waiting for feedback regarding fabric choices of a certain type, which I provided pictures of.  Has she responded to those choices?  Not at all.  I'm not even gonna inquire.   I offered to make masks; she was the one who wanted to pick the fabrics.  The ball is now in her court and I'm not gonna hurry her along.  She's an intelligent person and I have other things to be doing.

tuckyquilter said...

Back in the dark ages, when I was in HS (school had 87 students) , my school had a full years of Home Ec:  Grade 9 was sewing,  Grade 10 cooking, Grade 11 was household management/money etc and kind of was a supplement to the Business classes, and senior year was Advanced sewing like formal gowns coats and such.  For the first three years of high school we had a Master teacher named Mrs. Gladys Torrey and she knew everything. I still use some of the recipes we made.  Our senior year we had a open the box/can type Home Ec teacher. as Mrs. Torrey had retired.  In recent times someone from my hometown asked a bunch of us who our favorite teacher was. She and an old school English teacher got the most comments. All good too. 

That sounds amazing!

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-29

tuckyquilter said:

Like your school the boys had shop classes of all kinds: welding , auto, wood.

mine did too...

my daughter though, took shop and auto repair (and showed up most of the boys!!) She got my Dad's intuition about auto repair and engine troubleshooting...and even got her degree in the same thing as Dad - mechanical engineering. Not that she does not know her way around a sewing machine though...she designed a junior size copy of her Cheer uniform for her boyfriend's younger sister...no pattern...just intuition there too...and she is a fantastic artist who does not need reference photos...(her Mom is super proud of her...but I must say just the wee-est bit jealous!!)

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-29

Your quilt is going to be a beauty.  Might be hard to part with if it were mine.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-29

Amazing, Ami.  I would never even think to make underwear.  As you said, the quarantine can do strange things.  They do look like fun.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-29

I'm hoping to finish up another 30 requested today.  I'm having some right shoulder issues(it needs replacement, I'm procrastinating) and can only sew an hour or 2 at a time.  So, one day I cut, then the next do about half the steps and today hope to finish. Then some will need to be mailed.  It keeps me busy.  Reading books in between and trying to keep Bob busy.

bornblesse2

Apr-29

Cathy, I have another 24-28 cut out.  But I ended up organizing some scrappy squares and strips.  The process got dragged out with laundry, phone calls, avoidance....you know the drill

but, the tub if FULL now!  And my box of strips is overflowing!  You know what that means?   Time to make more string blocks!  (And when ever I bring them to retreat, they get taken to finish into quilts and I never see them finished!)

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-30

Thought I was done with masks for awhile and got a new requests through the church for some for Habitat for Humanity.   They want 500 but have reached out to many churches.  I'll just send what I can.

I need to make string blocks too.  My boxes of them are full.  I also still have t

2 bins of scraps to cut and organize.  About time to put away all the stuff I've  been dragging out for masks, etc.  It will make me happier to see less clutter.  Not going to attack the additional masks until the weekend.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-2

So, I've started my next/new EPP hand work project ... 3D Hollow Cubes.  The hexagon "block" is a total optical illusion because what you SEE is a hollow cube but what it IS is actually a hexagon.  Completely blows my one remaining brain cell.

The hexagon is 3.5" along a side (which is how you measure the size of a hexagon), so that the hollow cube is 3.5" square ...if it truly was a cube.  The "block" is turning out to be nicely on the large size .. 6" across the middle, which gives you a much better sense of how big the "block" really is.

I haven't decided on a final layout yet; I don't have to.  Since I know I'm not going to have a definite color layout (like stripes or blocks of color), I can simply make all the 3D hollow cube blocks in whatever colors strike my fancy.

Right now, I'm staying with a monochromatic scheme, as that is very easy to pick out the required light/medium/dark shades.  I've seen some spectacular cubes where the outside "frame" contrasts dramatically from the "interior".  That looks fantastic but is highly dependent on the colors chosen.  I'll probably end up making a few of those but will wait to see if the color combination looks good *and* is compatible with the other blocks.

Here are two hollow cubes that I've done.  (I actually made 2 of the blue scheme, although only 1 is in this picture)   I tell ya, I just *love* this optical illusion look!