Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 253330 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-5

Tonight's Hollow Cube progress is prepping.

Up until now, I've been finding the three values of fabric that I need (light/medium/dark), cutting 2 of each template from each fabric, prepping the pieces (i.e. securing the fabric to the template), and then sewing the block together.  This process gives you the satisfaction of the entire sequence, end to end.   But, since this is a hand project for me and the purpose of a hand project is to allow me to work on it away from home, this process doesn't yield anything to do other than the current Hollow Cube block.

So, I changed my M.O.  Currently, I am looking through my fabric scraps (which, long ago, had been sorted by color) and pulling every fabric that is appealing and appears to be enough fabric to cut the required 6 templates.  I'm not necessarily looking for fabrics that work together in a monochromatic theme (although I suspect that some of them will).   From this culled pile, I will be creating little piles of prepped templates.

Once I have all the fabric & templates prepped, I will create my mini-kits of light/medium/dark fabrics popped into a small ziploc.  At this point, I will have my To-Go supplies at the ready.   When we go on a road trip or some other lengthy drive, I will have something to work on.

Here's a photo of the process.  On the blue cutting mat are all the selected fabrics, cut to fit the 6 templates.  This selection of fabrics came from my yellow-orange scraps.  To the right of the blue cutting mat is the set of templates that I'm currently prepping (it's a very pale yellow).  To prep my templates, I like to take a backstitch through the overlapping, folded corners, then drag the thread to the next corner and repeat, repeat, repeat.  The thread doesn't go through the template .. only the fabric.  This allows me to easily pop the template out when it's time to do so.   

HOWEVER, I have discovered that the rhombus templates, being long and skinny, have a mind of their own when it comes to the long sides.  The fabric doesn't want to take a firm crease just by finger pressure.  To make it easier on me to sew the folded edges of the templates together when assembling the block, I have stitched long, loose basting stitching through the long edges of this template.   I will still need to remove the basting stitches when the pieces are stitched together .. and that's annoying.  I then realized that there was an alternative to the basting stitches ... I could use a good, hot iron to press that long edge into place.  The pressing gives a very nice crisp edge also.  As long as i am doing the prepping at home where I have access to my iron, this will be a good procedure.  If I happen to be on the road while doing the prepping, I'll use the basting stitches.

The 3 "hat like" shapes at the top of the blue cutting mat are the finished sets of templates of one fabric.  They have been clipped together to secure them.  Once I finish all the sets that are on the blue cutting mat, I will then look at ALL of them with an eye towards creating my light/medium/dark collections.   A color that might be a light in one collection could be a medium in another, depending on the other fabrics.   There are some multi-colored printed in this batch, so I'm thinking that those fabrics could be used in a non-monochromatic fabric theme.  It might be interesting to mix the monochromatic and multi-colored Hollow Cubes .

So ... no new Hollow Cube block tonight .. I'm doing prep work instead.  :-)

That is going to be amazing. You really jumped into that project!

judyinohio

May-5

That's because our Pirate has treasure chests of fabric to jump into.

Suze (casuzenn)

May-5

oh my....these blocks seem kind of like potato chips....just can't 'eat' one!

instead of a stitch that you have to make in those rhombuses...how about a wee dab of glue stick?  little less intrusive then having to actually clip the basting stitch...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-5

Suze (casuzenn) said:

how about a wee dab of glue stick? 

Ahhh.  I'll give that a try.  A small spot of glue stick should be easy enough to undo.

Although, I must say, I am liking the crisp edge that the pressing gives me!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-5

To be sure,  I have a LOT of inventory!

Msg 3006.3761 deleted
Cathy (cacnurse1)

May-5

Love your cubes.  Reminds me that I need to pick up my hexies in the evening instead of my tablet.

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

Love your jacket. Nice job.

Thanks Cathy, I am so glad it is done. I am working on a pair of pants today, they are going together pretty quick even though I am doing french seams on any that I can, the exception on the side seam because of the pockets french seams won't work there but I might do a Hong Kong finish so the inside of the pants is free of any raw edges, as pretty on the inside as the outside (LOL).