Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 312061 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-2

Here's the latest progress on my EPP 3D Hollow Cube hexie project.   I've interspersed some 3D pop-up cubes and some "solid" folded origami hexies amongst the Hollow Cube hexies.

I think this is as large as the hexie part is gonna get.  I didn't have a plan on how to arrange all the hexies and wasn't sure I'd like one color butting right up against another.  I kinda like some sort of transition between colors.  So, in an attempt to create such a transitions, I made some pieced hexies in specific color combinations that pulled in the colors from all sides.  Some attempts were more successful than others. :-)   Then, to give the eye an occasional resting place, I put in the origami hexies.

Once all of the hexies are sewn together,  I'm thinking of appliquing the whole thing onto a background fabric.  That will leave quite a bit of empty background fabric around the hexies.

I'm not sure, at this point, if I'll leave it as empty space or if I'll add a few appliqued "somethings".  I can defer that decision until later.

Your hexi cubes are looking great. I have my hexi cube quilt on the longarm and have done a background fill and two ghost hexis. Next step is quilting the hexis. I have some photos on Instagram under my name.

bornblesse2

Dec-2

Wow Shelley those hexes look really good!  

LindaPutt

Dec-3

Wow!  It looks great!  I like your plan of the empty background fabric.  That way your cubes will be the stars.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-4

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I'm not sure, at this point, if I'll leave it as empty space or if I'll add a few appliqued "somethings".  I can defer that decision until later.

Empty space also gives you room for some of your lovely quilting.  It would also look nice with a few random floating objects of your choice.

as much as I love black backgrounds, I'm kind of liking how that sparkles on the off white.  coming together very nicely.

I decided to drag out an old hand piecing project and see if I can get interested in it again.  The colors were rescued scraps from an AZ retreat years ago (Becky?) and the black & whites are from my scrap bin.  It's a little slow sewing because I need to pin a couple of places on the hand piecing but actually not all that difficult.  The hexagon stars (flower centers and background) are about palm size (4.75" finished point to point including the edge contrast) but I found I needed to pin the start, end & middle or I don't end up in the right place.  Each star is made of a center and 6 edge pieces.  All are traced & alignment dots added using plastic templates and hand cut out - that's pretty time consuming.  All good TV/movie work. 

It's not very big so far but I'd like to get it to throw size.  Right now I just have the bright flowers (white center) and background stars (black center), not yet connected together.  I think I'll make "blocks" with two stars and a flower, just to feel like I'm making progress.  It's a puzzle!

judyinohio

Dec-4

When I went for my monthly B-12 shot I offered this colorful string quilt to the receptionist who has run the front desk at my GP's office for years as a "reward for good behavior" and she got all flustered and blushed a bright red. She stood up, flipped the quilt open and got tears in her eyes as she hugged it to her chest. She saw the yellow with orange dots backing fabric and claimed the backing was perfect.

Her coworkers told her that she was the luckiest woman in the office.

judyinohio

Dec-4

This creative effort of yours is quite charming. I didn't have much hope for it but I'm amazed at how you pulled it together.

Someday I am going to magically endow you with a design wall.