Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 449726 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-8

Besides working on UFOs, I promised my brother's children that I would make them each a quilt from their father's t-shirts and hockey jerseys.  He passed away Feb 11th, 2020.  Not Covid related.

Monday and Tuesday I managed to get them all cut up and stabilized.  Now I'm waiting for my DSIL to let me know which shirts to put in which quilts.  One niece is from a former marriage and some of the shirts won't have any meaning for her.  While I'm waiting, I will also see if I can find any hockey-related fabric to incorporate.  They will all be different.

In addition to these, Carrie returned a charity top quilted that I need to bind.  I made some scrappy binding for it.  I also put together blocks I had previously made into another charity quilt top.  I hope our church quilting group can get together soon.  This last one can easily be tied.

Also still working on putting my sewing room back together after saying goodbye to my long arm.  Want to buy some of the storage units that hold the baskets to help organize some of stuff. 

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

after saying goodbye to my long arm

What?  When did that happen?

My Grandson is a hockey player, and I want to make him a quilt with hockey fabric.  I found a small but good selection of hockey fabrics at equilter.com  

https://www.equilter.com/search?p_filter_keyword=hockey&p_search_type=all&p_func=live 

I haven't bought any yet, but will do that before too much longer.

Sounds like a nice project you have going there.  

You may need larger amounts but I do have about a 3/4th yard of this.  I haven't used it because the individual players are a bit larger than I typically use, about 5" total.  I'd like to keep a few squares but if you want the rest you are welcome.  You've shared so many fabrics with me over the years - Let me know.

latterberry

Apr-8

Congratulations on getting all of those lovely quilts finished up.  Maybe that will give me the incentive to get my pile of flimsies done.  Good idea to give them to the crisis center.  I've given some to the pregnancy crisis center too, but they just give them to the new moms for their baby.  I've also given them to the children's hospital to give to the sick little ones.  My next batch is gong to an orphanage for a fund raiser they have tis summer.  Let us know when your blog is updated--looking forward to seeing them.

Yes, I would like some of that fabric - whatever part of it you do not want to keep.  Thanks!  I will e-mail you my new address.  

Dee did you mean to post the hockey fabric to Cathy?

Your 10 quilts are amazing. I have been working on your applique wonder. DBIL says it looks amazing so far.  I have started sewing stuff for him as well so I work on yours when I can. We drove to New Mexico yesterday and I will be heading back to Colorado Tuesday. 

No, the hockey fabric was for Jonna, but she figured it out. Excited to see your quilting. I will have to reserve a special place for it in the new house.

Last night I decided to fix something that has been bothering me for years.  This quilt is one of my favorites, it is hand pieced, applique & hand quilted.  It took approximately 5 years start to finish, completed 10 years ago.

The problem is the center block had faded very badly.  It was supposed to be black & white but one of the blacks had faded to an awful pink.  Every time I looked at it, I was unhappy - right in the very center of the quilt.  I had been examining it and decided it wouldn't be all that hard to pull those fabrics out, slip in new fabric and applique them down, rather than trying to piece them the way they were originally done.  I'm confident in my applique skills now, so the project was definitely possible.  

So last night I got to ripping.  Look at how much this silly fabric faded.  The quilt was never in direct sunlight, this happened from a combination of florescent (from my office) and indirect natural light.  The dark is what was in the seams.  Even under the quilting thread it stayed black - I kept trying to rip out quilting that was already out.

And here is the block with the new fabric pinned down.  It won't take long to sew it.  And as far as the quilting, I'm not going to worry about trying to tie off what I cut, I'm just going to quilt over it.  I'm excited to have this fixed.  This particular block was a copy of one Ami made at my 1st AZ retreat block swap, made from a pattern from Marcia's QuiltersCache.  I love this block, but hated the faded fabric.