Latest 5:07 AM by latterberry
Latest 1:36 AM by keddykat75
Latest Jan-24 by MelRN
Latest Jan-23 by Mishii
Latest Jan-23 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Jan-20 by Mishii
Latest Jan-20 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Jan-16 by Judy (DJZMOM)
Latest Jan-13 by MelRN
Latest Jan-12 by bornblesse2
Latest Jan-9 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Jan-7 by joepeter00
Latest Jan-3 by sueinIL
Latest Jan-2 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jan-1 by keddykat75
Latest Dec-31 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Dec-30 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Dec-27 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Dec-27 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Dec-26 by MelRN
Here are some of the charity quilts I am giving to Lutheran World Relief. Over the winter I did a lot of strip piecing and the quilts will go to people in need somewhere in the world.
They are not difficult, but the piecing helped me stay busy in the winter. Hopefully my church will be able to tie the quilts and send them this fall.
I hope the photos come out. I tried to follow Viola's directions.
The quilts look beautiful!
Wonder what Shelley sees. I see a little grey circle with a little dash thru the center, no photo.
I can see all your photos. I love the wide borders!
I see the same thing, Ami.
Those are dramatic quilts, NanaSuz, and I'm sure they will be appreciated by the people who receive them as gifts.
In addition to the needleturn applique project I've got going on, I also have a quilt loaded on the longarm. The longarm quilt is an EPP hexie quilt, started in 2013 and the piecing was finished in 2015. So, this year (2021), I decided to load it and start quilting. (Mainly to get rid of the HUGE package of king-size batting being stored under the longarm.) At this point, the entire center of EPP hexies has been quilted and I've moved onto the borders.
The photo below shows the bottom border. I've done a double beadboard below the applique vines/flowers. I've long admired double beadboard and finally decided to use it. I am in the process of SITD around the vines, flowers, & leaves. Those of you who have longarms KNOW that freehand SITD is a major PITA .. and that is precisely what I need to do around the vines & leaves. The SITD around the flowers can be done with a straight edge as a guide. Still ... it's slow going.
The area above the vines will be done in some sort of filler. So far, I've come up with pebbles, peacock feathers/clamshell, stippling. I think I want to do something that isn't straight or linear, so as to give some visual contrast to the double beadboard. Any suggestions would be welcome.
There is a a portion that I'm not looking forward to. After one particular bobbin change, I experienced some tension problems that I didn't discover until I had rolled the quilt to expose the back of that area. Oy vey! It's horrible. So horrible that I can't even justify leaving it, even though I'm going to keep this quilt. (I have been known to leave problem areas if I can convince myself that it "really doesn't matter".) So, **several rows* of the center EPP hexies will need to be removed ... good news: it'll be easy because the bobbin tension is so loose. bad news: the bobbin tensions was very loose. :-( Fortunately, there is stabilizing stitches on the sides and the area above and below the problem tension area is good. It's just doggone **annoying**. Harumph.
Something that I started doing some years ago to fill a space is to use a variety of fill designs. Basically I choose several designs and start one and then switch to something else. I try not to make the areas too regular or a particular shape. This way if you love the look of pebbles but hate quilting them you can do a few or a substantial group and then switch to doing peacock meander, or clamshells or whatever.
Love your beadboard!
"This way if you love the look of pebbles but hate quilting them you can do a few or a substantial group and then switch to doing peacock meander, or clamshells or whatever. "
That's an excellent suggestion! I do believe that I've seen samples of this without realizing what I was looking at.