Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 504478 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-12

Wow... an electric advance!  There are some times (like this current king quilt) where that would be quite the convenience!

When I got my longarm delivered some years ago the guy was telling us that husband's buy expensive toys, boats, motorcycles, electronics, cars etc but wives always feel guilty about spending big money on stuff like longarms.

Midkid5

Jun-12

You can only feel guilty if you get it and don't use it.  Enjoy your new toy.

Jo

Exciting. Congrats. You will use it. I decided I would enjoy a new machine more than a new car, that was my rationalization.

Mishii

Jun-13

My husband has very little and asks for less. We don’t really compete in the you bought that so I get this way. I’m the breadwinner so it isn’t like I don’t do my part. I would also feel guilty for buying a boat ‍??

I have been working on the hand quilting on my table topper and noticed my quilt hoop had cracked.  So I had to glue it before it broke completely.  And what to do the rest of the evening - decided to start on the turned loops for the edges - wowser.  I don't think I'll ever do this again.  I can't imagine doing it on a full size quilt.  198 loops, 576 inches.  I made the decision to not do bias because I already had several 2.5" strips and not much else, so I cut those in half, sewed 1/4" seam, then trimmed.  Hmmm.  There might be an advantage to the bias, turning those tubes is challenging to say the least.  I trimmed the seam down and I'm using the trick of sewing the yarn inside then pulling it out the other end.  But even so turning batik fabrics is  - well I was working up a sweat.  I still have 5 more lengths of purple to do - my hands were too tired last night.  and basting them down is going to be interesting too.  But I pinned a small section and it really does look pretty great - that's why I decided to go ahead and do it.  I have a lot of respect for those who do this edge treatment on a large quilt.

Midkid5

Jun-14

Yesterday I happened to talk to my brother, he mentioned that he had broken his sewing machine needle while try to repair some strapping straps.  We both agreed that he needed a larger needle. Since there is no place in his town to buy needles and I needed to order some thread, I ordered needles and a more appropriate thread.  I am in the habit of adding a package or two of needles to the cart when I order fabric due to many years not having access to needles.  But today I took stock of what kind and size I had i.e. I sorted the box containing them.  I had way more than I realized, now I just need to get my mind wrapped around what needle is best for what king of fabric.

Have you ever run out of sewing machine needles?

Jo

Can't wait to see photos. I bet it gonna be spectacular!

judyinohio

Jun-14

Yep. 

Right now I am out of Schmetz Microtex 10s which is what I prefer for 50 wt. piecing threads.  My local JoAnn store is always out of them as well so must be a lot of us here in my small town that like to use that fine needle with fine piecing thread.  wink So now I'm using Micro 12s and can't say that I'm noticing any difference.

There's a handy chart on the Superior Threads website about which needle is best for which thread; of course they talk about their threads that they sell but you can figure out which needles to use with anyone's threads.  A 40 wt. thread will use the same needle option no matter which brand ...

https://cag-st-images.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/EducationalCenter/EcPdfs/home-machine-thread-reference-guide.pdf