Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

  • 6133
    MEMBERS
  • 152466
    MESSAGES
  • 8
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 503440 views.

I put the rows for this on the design wall before I sewed them together to check for errors in layout.  I guess I didn't look at it long enough.  I found one last night as I was sitting on the floor brushing the cat. At least it is only one block to turn. and thank goodness I found it before it was quilted,

Ok found it! Now I can't unsee it LOL. At least it is a small component.

Suze (casuzenn)

From: Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-22

ohh...one upside down...

I can't unsee it either! 

I knew there was a risk one would get flipped or out of place - that was why I put it up before sewing the rows together.  I should have left it up there longer, I kind of had to see it out the corner of my eye.  fortunately it was just one little block to flip - not bad out of all the blocks.  There is also one pinwheel where I don't like the fabric, the llamas are too large and you lose the contrast with the adjacent blocks.  It doesn't read enough like a single color.  But fixing that one would mean changing 4 blocks and I don't think it's worth it.  especially as this is likely to be a donation quilt.  I may changed my mind when it comes time to quilt it but for now it is aging in the closet.

The pattern was kind of fun, but sort of fiddly.  I sewed about a dozen rectangles with the white on the wrong corners - those went in the scrap bin.  And I had to label every block carefully and sew them carefully (though I missed one of them).  might be easier if you only had maybe a dozen fabrics.

Suze (casuzenn)

From: Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-22

Would come out so scrambled if I tried it!!

I would leave the llamas...

LABFIEND

From: LABFIEND

Jun-22

I didn't think that was the mistake, I found another one (evil grin here!!) What about the blue against the rust, upper right, looks like the blue and rust edge are flipped!

I personally would go crazy trying to put it together-LOL- so for a donation quilt, I wouldn't worry about it....too much!!

oh, no the one you see in the upper right is the one that was wrong (blue & rust).  I was just saying I also didn't like the llamas either, but that's a harder fix. I've already fixed the blue & rust - that was only 1 block.

I have been known to darken up light places in fabric with fabric markers.....just a suggestion for the llamas.

LABFIEND

From: LABFIEND

Jun-23

Ha Ha, I knew you would!  The llamas don't bother me! Still a crazy nice quilt, I would mess it up!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

From: Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-23

and I have now finished the top of Gathering of Quails Forever Project. :-)  Although there was a small bit of drama involved.

The original pattern has 4 rows of quails with a narrow border then a wider border for a final quilt size of 49"x57".  This is a small quilt for me and I wanted a bigger one.  It seemed to me that  making the rows slightly longer (WOF), adding another row of quails, and making the borders respectively larger would do the trick for me.  And so I did.

I had a "goodly" amount of an ecru tone-on-tone fabric that I used for the background.  I planned on using this fabric for the wide outer border.  Then, as I continued to work on it, I became dissatisfied with the simple wide border and decided to do a pieced border  of scrappy piano keys instead.  As I worked on those borders, it became increasingly clear to me that my "goodly" amount of ecru fabric wasn't going to be enough.  In fact, I was going to be about a yard short.  No amount of creative problem solving was going to get me more of that fabric.  I had purchased this fabric years ago from who-knows-where, so simply buying more wasn't an option.

So, I looked through my stash.  I didn't have an ecru tone-on-tone that was the same shade, as what I had was just "off" in some manner .. too light, too dark, too yellow, too brown ... they all looked *different* from what was already used.  Then I found a mottled ecru .. no tone-on-tone design .. but the shade was kinda/sorta/almost/maybe the same look and feel.  I used it and interspersed this new background fabric in amongst the existing piano keys so they would be kinda/sorta/maybe scattered in between the original ecru background fabric.   The four cornerstones also needed to be cut from this new background fabric.

When all is said and done, I think it turned out pretty well, all things considered.  The two different background fabrics are now a "design feature" rather than a desperate attempt to make lemonade from some lemons.  And if some sharp eyed person notices that there are two different background fabrics, I will give them kudos for having keen eyesight and direct them to look at some other aspect of the quilt.  :-)

The top now gets hung up with all the other tops, to await its turn to be quilted.  Someday .... that's a different project. :-)

Here's the completed top.  The size is 70"x100", which is only a tad bigger than measurements for a twin sized bed .. which is what I was aiming for.   It's longer than my display space is high, so it extends out onto the floor for picture taking.  :-)

TOP