Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 507044 views.
latterberry

Jun-30

I forgot about that one.  And there is the scrappy 16 patch one, plus the new kit.  We really have brought you over to the dark side!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-1

Very interesting, Dee.  I'll definitely use this method.  She's right.  It is cheaper and I always have Dawn.  I've been using Color Catchers.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-1

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I have now finished the top of Gathering of Quails Forever Project. :-) 

I love this quilt top.  Tell me how you did the border.  Did you sew ecru strips to each piano key or applique the sewed together keys to the border?

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-1

Hope you put fabric under your needle soon.  Strip quilts are such fun and can be put together so many ways like log cabin blocks.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-1

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

they aren't doing those boxes at the PO any more that used to be one price regardless of the weight.

Dee, the have priority mail boxes at my post office, small, medium and large.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-1

Love your beads quilt.  May have to try one.  I'll put it on the list.  Still trying to finish others.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-1

judyinohio said:

Lynne, you are such a nag!   I'm still working on the reds and neutrals HST thing, what I'm calling the barberpole quilt.

Don't forget your scrappy leader/ender project.  16 patches if I remember.

hmm, I had tried searching on line and couldn't find it.  I'll swing by my PO and see.

judyinohio

Jul-1

They have those boxes (flattened) in a cardboard kiosk just inside the door at my local PO.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-1

"Normally", you'd make piano key borders with strip sets ... one strip set (light/colored) for each width you need.  But since I was making mine scrappy, I couldn't do that efficiently and economically ... remembering that I realized I was running short on the background (light) fabric.

So, what I did was ... knowing that the longest background segment needed to be 7.5" (cut) because that would be paired with a 5.5" (cut) colored segment to give me a final segment 12" (finished).  The width is really irrelevant; you can make the piano keys any width .. random or uniform .. and it doesn't matter.

I cut my background strip at 12.5".  I had precut all the colored strips to whatever I needed: some were cut at 5.5", some at 6.5" and some at 7.5".  I put the background strip face up on the sewing machine and simply place the colored strips side-by-side along the length of the background strip and sew the seam.

Then I cut the strips apart (the colored strips are already apart; I'm just cutting the background fabric into strips) and voila ... piano keys.  I then sew the piano keys together in the color arrangement that I want.  At this point, I don't pay any attention to the length of the background portion, as I know I'm going to be trimming that off.

Now, to be sure, the LENGTH needs to be trimmed off .... I know that the 7.5 background + 5.5 colored is the measurement I want .. so I line up a long straight edge and slice off the excess background fabric.