Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 471260 views.

Nah.  It all looks vaguely interesting, but I am not that attracted to doing that kind of stuff for some reason.  Besides, I already have too much of my capital invested in other "materials."  

Re:  the wild carpet

Yesterday I heard one lady at another table say to another:  "This carpet is good for finding something when you drop it."  Hah!  

Now, I just have to brag a little more about the Tom Green County Library system.  A few years ago, someone who is VERY good at writing grant proposals did just that, and as a result, the library now has an incredible "maker space" known as STEAM Central.  You may know that in schools, STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics.  And now STEAM = the same thing, but also add in Arts.  When someone first gave me a mini-tour of the STEAM Central space, I was gobsmacked.  First of all, you cannot tell until you actually enter what a HUGE space it is, and it's incredible all the equipment it has available for anyone to use (provided they are a resident of Texas and have a library card, which costs nothing).  For certain things, like the 3-D printers, there is a nominal fee for supplies.  They also have lessons available for just about everything, and those are also free.  You are required to take the lessons for the two long-arm quilting machines before you can use them, but hey -- free longarm lessons!  And you have to reserve one of the machines ahead of time, but then there is no fee for using them.  Just about any equipment to make something, they have it.

This FAQ page concisely describes what STEAM Central is:  http://tomgreennew.sv9482.si-servers.com/steamcentralabout.asp 

And this is a very short video that gives you just a little idea of what it looks like, but you can't really imagine the scale of the place from the video.  It's just hard to describe.  I wish you ALL could see it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MfUZO2mGyM 

And the STEAM Central Facebook page shows way more of what goes on there.

https://www.facebook.com/TGCMakerspace 

viola (sissly4)

Sep-27

Our library here also has a room where the lady can come with there hand work.I am going this week Wed afternoon. I am hand quilting a small quilt.I will take that one.

judyinohio

Sep-27

Your library is absolutely amazing.  What a lucky community to have such a resource!

LABFIEND

Sep-27

Sounds like a great spot and good fun!!

LABFIEND

Sep-27

That is awesome!!  I would like to try the 3D printer!!

I think that anyone can bring in a design for a 3-D printed object, but they only allow library employees to use the machines.  So, you can do all the design work for whatever it is, but THEY have to do the actual printing for you.  (Of course, I would be right there watching every single move.  haha)  Those must be some VERY expensive machines.  But you could get a lot of experience and learn how to use one, in case you could ever afford to buy one of your own.  LOL  

tuckyquilter

Sep-27

What fun!  and now we can all say we know a "TV Star".. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

Better yet, you will be making more friends.