Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 666838 views.

What I did different this year is to have the tops on a shelf in plain sight. 

It is nice to see them quilted.

Midkid5

1/13/22

Ami,just read your 2021 blog review, amazing quilts and quilting.  I found I really liked the little navy blue quilt with hot pink quilting, I don't even like pink.  You do amazing work from designing, piecing to the actual quilting.

I believe you finished it but I don't ever remember seeing a picture of the Wolf quilt.  Would you post a picture either here or on your blog please?

Jo

judyinohio

1/13/22

Here I go again, dragging up memories from decades ago.  Some not so good, some good.

Top two blocks are "Buckeye Beauties" or my versions of those blocks that I found on Marcia's Quilter's Cache. She planned for them to be twelve inches and very scrappy so they would work up into a striking bed quilt. With Ellen's help I shrunk them down to represent my Ohio life at two very different universities.

My dad was transferred to Akron, Ohio in October of my senior year of high school in Rochester NY so my guidance counselor picked Western Reserve University in Cleveland for me to apply to. With my parents living in Akron and me boarding out with a family in Rochester there was little help on college selection (parents did not go to college) and so I just trusted guidance counselor. She made a bad choice; just because I was in the top five at my high school did not mean I was meant for that university. When I arrived at Western Reserve I was totally unprepared for the ruthless competition and did not do well. So the colors in the block are green and yellow for cheerful happy girl going in and black and blue for "battered" scholar coming out.  (LOL)

Next Buckeye Beauty block represents my three years at Kent State (near Akron) where I earned almost all straight A grades and where I met the man I would marry. (Almost flunked remedial penmanship.) Colors are much more cheerful and reflect those three happier years and their wondeful outcome. The cute guy expected me to put him through medical school though ....

Block in last photo represents our years at Wurtsmith Air Force Base which was a Strategic Air Command base in Michigan. This involved two  years of listening to B-52 bombers take off at all hours of the day and night. Our DD was born on that base which she does not appreciate ... she finds it a nuisance to explain that she was born at such an unusual place every time someone asks her "Place of birth" for any reason. (Plus the base was closed so it does not exist any more.)  DH was one of many base physicians during those years.

• Edited January 13, 2022 5:46 pm  by  judyinohio
Suze (casuzenn)

1/13/22

I have to explain where I was born a lot too... Argentia (not Argentina!!) Naval Station, Newfoundland....and it is closed now too. It is a pain in the patootie. At least she doesn't have to have the added complication of being born on foreign soil. I had to get a Certificate of Citizenship before I could get a passport.

Love your blocks!

Here is the wolf quilt. One of my all time favorites. I am glad you enjoyed my blog post.

I need to blog more. I post most of my stuff on Instagram under: amikrenzel 

We are going away for the long weekend. I got the binding machine sewn to the red white and blue strings and log cabin quilt so hope to have that done by the time we get back. I cut the binding for the Dear Jane quilt but ran out of time to sew that one on so next week. 

I also loaded Denise's Boots quilt on the longarm and hope to get it quilted next week.....such a cute quilt. I did a scale drawing of the block and will make some blocks. Mine will be a small wall quilt so only a few blocks. I think I am gonna paper piece it as well, or at least the bottom of the boot.

Midkid5

1/13/22

Thank you it's lovely.  Enjoy your long weekend.

Jo

Thanks! You have a good weekend too.

latterberry

1/14/22

Another enjoyable story!  I'm so glad you keep posting them. Any idea of how many blocks to go?

latterberry

1/14/22

Outstanding wolf quilt! Could you please give me the link to your blog?   I did have it at one time, but lost my bookmarks when the computer crashed.  I don't do instagram and would love to see more of your work.