Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 611162 views.

I have attached 1.5 rows together on my forever project, it actually wasn't too bad as I had anticipated.  Then I got side tracked on practice quilting.  I don't know that the quilting is getting better, but I'm definitely getting more comfortable.  On this quilt I used it like a sampler, quilting something different on each row.  I even outlined the dolls in one block and was pleased to see that I've improved on my hand-eye coordination.  And that is going to be critical when I quilt the Christmas applique.  Eventually....

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jan-15

BRAVO!  And a standing ovation in Montana!

Cris in MT

judyinohio

Jan-15

Looks very good, Dee. 

By "getting more comfortable" that means that you are having fun while you work, right?  I know that sometimes I would find myself "forgetting to breathe" because I was concentrating too hard ...

getting more comfortable in that I'm not agonizing and over thinking every single stitch.  I did watch a video today where someone was using a ruler to help guide the foot while outline applique.  I think I'm going to try that  and outline some novelty fabrics next.  I really don't want to glob thread onto the surface of the applique, so I want to have really good control.  I also want to try practicing feathers as fills.  so those two things are my next "assignment" I've made for myself.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-15

Dee, may I make a personal recommendation for stitching around appliques?   Years ago, I "found" this longarm tool and have found it extremely helpful.  It's called an "appliglide" and was created by Deloa Jones.   

Here's the video to watch: https://www.deloasquiltshop.com/products/appliguide

One end of the oval tool has an open ended "hook".  You place your longarm foot *inside* the hook.  You hold onto the oval part of the template and use it kinda like a flat handle to move your machine head around the edge of the applique.   It gives you close-in manueverability, rather like micro-handles at the needle level.  The underside of the tool is beveled so that it will glide up and over adjacent appliques and not get hung up.

As a bonus, I inadvertently discovered that the outer curved edges of the oval part are perfect for using as a curved template.  I particularly like to use this tool to stitch Continuous Curves/Orange Peel designs!  That outer curve is just the right shape!    I know that Deloa had no intention of this tool being used as a curved shape template, **but it works**!  :-)

OH!  and if you like the look of cables/rope designs, she also has a multi-part template that makes stitching this complicated design an absolute breeze.  I also have this template from her and it makes me look soooooooooooooooooooo good!    https://www.deloasquiltshop.com/collections/long-arm-rulers/products/rope-a-dope

Not affiliated but a very happy camper with these two tools of hers.  Highly recommended.

hmm, you know I have something similar by handiquilter.  but I haven't used it in a while, I need to try it again.  It's more like a small stick with a hole in it, not as wide as that one.  Thanks for the recommendation, that does look like a possibility.

That is a lot of tiny pieces, good for you to keep going and finish!!!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-15

bornblesse2 said:

the center of my Dear Jane is now ONE piece!

One amazing accomplishment.  Completing the border blocks shouldn't be so daunting, but then what do I know about a Dear Jane quilt.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-15

judyinohio said:

If someone had told you that total before you started you would never have picked up the first piece of fabric ....

She started out making a smaller quilt, maybe a wall hanging and then got caught up in it.  The blocks are wonderful to see in person.  Hard to capture it all in our photos.