Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 611190 views.
latterberry

Jan-21

You have been super busy!  Two very lovely quilts--someone will be lucky to get one of them.

judyinohio

Jan-21

Cathy, those are cheery looking donation quilts that two children will love.  Keep practicing the binding and it will get easier and easier.

bornblesse2

Jan-21

Cathy those look really nice!

Cathy you sure have been busy. The charity quilts look great and are going to make the recipients really happy!

judyinohio

Jan-21

The babbling block maker strikes again!

First smallish black and blue block represents the nine months I spent in Cleveland, Ohio fumbling around at Western Reserve University my freshman year in 1959 and losing my scholarship because I was not ready for the fierce competition at that school. Sigh. But it is one of the cities in Ohio where I lived and so I must be included in this quilt.

Next two blocks are based on a block in Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.  I am far too efficient (aka lazy) to piece narrow little strips of fabric that she shows in her pattern #2547  which is named "Michigan" in this photo so I went looking for striped fabrics that would suit the mood I needed.  Got very lucky .....

The fabric with the dark brown stripes is meant to represent Battle Creek, Michigan which was a dark period for my parents and sort of dark for me as well. Long story  sort of short, my mom and dad were recovering from an auto accident in Indiana while visiting my grandpa but they insisted that I had to stay in school at Kent State and not come home to help them; Dad was on crutches for almost a year, mom was a flibberty-gibbet and I was very frustrated. This was in 1962. They had been living in Akron when they were hurt; company transferred my dad to Battle Creek when he was cleared to go back to managing a store.

The golden mess in the middle of the dark block represents Kellogg Corn Flakes, a factory in Battle Creek we toured before they moved to Detroit area; we always toured major factories of any city we lived in. Kellogg's was one heck of a noisy factory!

The light-colored Michigan block represents the first time DH and I lived in Midland, Michigan where I first learned to cope with more snow than I care to think about. Also it is where I gave birth to our son and where I promptly had one doozy of a post-partum hemorrhage (went from a hemoglobin of 14 to 7 in one day; was not allowed to have a transfusion because I am allergic to penicillin). Thus I walked around about as pale as this fabric for 6 to 8 months while I tried to build up my iron and stamina by eating lots of red meat and taking iron pills. Yuk. That was 1968 and my introduction to motherhood was very rough.

tuckyquilter

Jan-22

Working on UFO's STILL.  But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I will NEVER let myself get in such a state again.  I might be able to start a new quilt by Easter... maybe.. just maybe. 

I had the little scrap blocks in a bin.  Added the black and am ready to sew them into a quilt top. Won't be huge but it will be a flimsy ready to baste & quilt.  I am making progress on getting bins empty.

And as a side note... this is starting to look like Facebook.. ads everywhere.  I don't mind them so much on the side, but HATE when they put them in the chat feed.  I'm just picky I guess.

latterberry

Jan-22

Judy--I so enjoy stories!  What a legacy you will leave to your DD.  Have you ever watched the TV show The Incredible Dr. Pol?  It takes place in Midland Michigan and it does seem like they have a lot of nasty weather.  

latterberry

Jan-22

That's going to be a bright and cheery quilt!  Good for you for eliminating UFOs.  I'm trying to do the same.  I have a healthy stack of flimsies and I think the problem is that I really don't like the sandwiching part. 

judyinohio

Jan-22

Black goes well with those bright blocks. Keep at it, Tucky, your reward will be the joy of working on a new quilt.

As for the ads, I use AdBlockerPlus and do not see any ads. Don't know if that add-on is available for your computer but you could check and see if you could find something like that to make you happy.

judyinohio

Jan-22

I once read a book by Dr. Pol, didn't realize he had a TV show.

Living in Midland with preschooler and older made for some excitement at Halloween; it meant having costumes that would fit over snowsuits (if needed) or some years I would fix Halloween costumes in two sizes (in case there would be snow or no snow). Some years I would just about freeze to death taking the kids trick or treating.

Our worst blizzard during our years there was on St. Patrick's Day.

However, the city had excellent snow removal equipment (and high taxes).

When we moved to Marion we were impressed by how low the taxes are. Then it snowed and we were dismayed by pathetic snow removal. 

Wonderful example of "you get what you pay for". stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes