Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 606800 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-22

Judy, your choice of blocks and accompanying stories is becoming a fantastic personal history!  What a priceless legacy you are creating.

what you are doing is so wonderful for your daughter.  I hope you are enjoying it as it really is amazing. 

I have to tell you a small side story (and a small rant).  I went to my first quilt guide workshop last Wednesday, taught by a man who has lots of "accolades" as a man quilter.  The class was EPP and very disorganized, poorly taught (grrr) but fun to sit and sew with others.   Anyway, one of his notable quilts is a millifore quilt that he made as a "story of his life".  He used fabric specific to certain times in his life, which reminded me of your project and asked him if he had documented what each section represented.  He hadn't even thought of it.  Hmmmm.  I kept thinking of your quilt and documentation, yours is going to be amazing.

My first attempt at fussy cutting EPP, from a guild workshop.  There is ONE section that I'm not happy with, the teacher of the class said it was good enough.  But of course it bothers me now, my eye goes right to it.  5 of the pieces are so very close to perfect, but one is wonky.  Hmmm.  I know it doesn't have to be perfect, and if they were all off, I would care less than I do.  It was pretty fun deciding how to place the template to fussy cut.  I can definitely see how this process could be addicting.  No idea what I'll do with it.

judyinohio

Jan-22

I can see the part that you are not happy with but ....

It is a gorgeous block.

The fabrics are awesome.

Consider that this would become one block in a large quilt.

Remember the galloping horse.

If you still do not like it, mail it to your friend in Marion, Ohio.

Problem solved.  heart_eyes

tuckyquilter

Jan-22

I HATE the sandwiching too.  The flimsy tops that will go to Project Linus will be basted by that group for me.  I try to do the backing if I have fabric.  OR I take the whole mess up to the leader, plus all that I've completed up and get backing out of our store room.   I make a very feeble attempt at quilting them myself.  

I have another church group that I sew with and they help me baste anything I want, and they are right here in town.  We meet once a month. 

I have two big tables in my garage set up for my quilting etc.  One of the tables is 1/2" shorter than the other.   I hope to remedy that soon by having my friends hubby trim the 4 pieces of PVC that elevates it to match the other shorter table.  I'm 5'9" and like a taller table so I don't have to bend over so much.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-22

Well, ha-cha-cha!   I have finished my current Forever Project, which is the EPP top with 4 hexies sewn into a "diamond" shape.   The size of the top is 86"x94", which is the width of a queen but the length of a double .. so take your pick. :-)

Here's a close-up of the corner and border detail.  I made shaped piano keys to fit into the white contrast border.  I initiallly thought it was going to be a quick and easy border and the top/bottom sides were.   But the sides were a minor PITA.  Once I resigned myself to taking more time than I had anticipated, it went smoothly enough.

And then, I took a picture from the backside of the top.    No one is gonna ever see this but I thought it looked neat. :-)

what an amazing accomplishment!  Any thoughts on quilting?  This one really should be in a show, my dear!

judyinohio

Jan-22

I'm dazzled speechless!  astonished

bornblesse2

Jan-22

It looks great!  Love the piano key border!  Did you end up handsewing the piano keys?