Latest 9:52 PM by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest 5:03 PM by KSCarolyn
Latest Aug-7 by viola (sissly4)
Latest Aug-5 by LABFIEND
Latest Jul-25 by MelRN
Latest Jul-23 by Mishii
Latest Jul-21 by LABFIEND
Latest Jul-21 by bornblesse2
Latest Jul-20 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jul-19 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Jul-19 by viola (sissly4)
Latest Jul-12 by MelRN
All done - It's kind of fun, I like the color mix. Though something about the proportion of the stars/background, borders doesn't feel quite right. I added the borders because I wanted it large enough to be a lap quilt, but now it seems off. Oh well, I'm over-thinking things again. It's done.
I don't see anything wrong with it.I think it look lovely. You might be surprise and get a blue ribbon.
Looks plenty large for me :D
Your quilt looks really nice.
Glad I could help with the tartan idea. Don't know what made me think of it-just one of those ah hah moments I really do like the block that is mostly plaid, and there is no way you could ever get the the plaid pieces to match up. I really wouldn't have noticed or thought anything of it if you hadn't said something.
Top is pieced. I *THINK* I started this in 2012 or 13 - 9 or 10 years ago ? Yikes. The pattern is from Quilters Newsletter March 2011, but I think I actually started it a year or two after that when I saw my cousin piecing one. At the time I wanted to try an interlocking hand pieced pattern sort of like apple core - this appealed to me but at the time I wasn't thinking how many pieces and curves I was looking at. In hind site I should have made the center star one piece instead of 7. Lesson learned. I pieced the border which worked out well, drafting it was interesting. I was thinking perhaps I would add a bit more to the border, but now I think not. I may add a flange to the binding instead just to add a small narrow white line around the edge. I've decided how to quilt it, custom quilting with arcs through the flower pedals and stars. But I need to starch it a bit more 1st to get it as flat as & as even as possible - it's very stretchy due to the curves & hand piecing. There are so many seams, I'm having trouble getting them flat - I've tried twirling at the intersections but there are too many - they bump into each other - last picture. 2nd picture you can see how I pieced the border. Each "flower" is approx 8" tip to tip.
I had to get out the smelling salts as I was reading about this piece of art. (You know I have a weak heart, Dee.)
Seriously, that is truly a masterpiece of handwork, something that only the young and ambitious could even think of tackling.
You are one determined quiltmaker, that's for sure.
Did your cousin finish hers?
Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:
There are so many seams, I'm having trouble getting them flat
LOL! Yeah, I've had that problem too. What worked for me was to spritz the intersection with either water or Magic Sizing (or Best Press or similar) to get the it nice and damp. Then take a meat mallet and pound the heck out of the intersection! Use the flat side of the mallet, not the bumpy side! I found it rather therapeutic. :-)
That is just a lovely, lovey top, Dee. Funny thing about complicated designs ... if you just take it one element at a time, it's not so bad (usually!). The design is very pleasing to look at and upon closer inspection, I'm not sure I would attempt it even now! So, kudos to you for starting it and eventually completing it! :-)