Latest 8:26 PM by Suze (casuzenn)
Latest 6:20 PM by keddykat75
Latest 6:12 PM by MelRN
Latest 6:10 PM by MelRN
Latest Nov-17 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Nov-16 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Nov-15 by latterberry
Latest Nov-14 by tuckyquilter
The pattern name is Nova, by GE Designs. here is a link to the PDF download pattern https://gequiltdesigns.com/products/nova-pdf-10-square-pattern?_pos=2&_sid=6c986090b&_ss=r
and here is a link to the video - tho it goes very fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwQ_j2rpoQ
That is really going to be pretty
Just received this pattern in the mail! With a cruise coming up on 9/16, not sure when I'll start it but sure do love the pattern.
Sometimes, I am continually astonished at what a complete idiot I can be. I have no idea what I was(n't) thinking when I made my original calculations on the size of my current Forever Project.
It's the Dillyflower project (also known as a HexDen. Dillyflower is a better marketing name!) The finished block is a BIG hexagon. All of the hexagons nest together. This makes estimating a finished size a little tricky.
In a NORMAL (square/rectangular) block, all you need to do is measure the width & height, then multiply by the number of blocks in the rows and columns. No big deal. Not so nested hexagons. Here's a picture of nested hexagons.
The *height* is straightforward .... from the top to the bottom. The height of my block is 11.25" (finished). The *width* is more problematical. WHICH width do you use? from point to point? or the base seamline? Neither one is accurate because of the nesting. Eventually I decided to use *2* nested columns (the blue arrow). That's still not 100% accurate because a little bit extends beyond the blue arrow on the last column ... but close enough for estimates. Let me state at this point, when I was starting this project, I had NOT figured out these measurements. In retrospect, even the *height* would have been useful. But, oh no ... I didn't measure it. This ignorance came back to bite me, big time.
I made my graphic mock-up using EQ. I probably used the finished measurements that EQ calculated, which is the ONLY thing I can think of that makes any sense. Using EQ's calculations for size, my quilt top needed 12 hexies vertically and 11 hexies horizontally (nested). Since January of this year (2022), I have blissfully been making Dillyflowers of the various colors and the background hexies to applique the Dillyflowers on to. Just this week, August 2022, I finished all of the color flower blocks I needed. [My idea is to have columns of Dillyflowers, alternating between color flowers on a neutral background and neutral flowers on a color background)
While the Dillyflowers are EPP and hand appliqued onto the background, I am machine piecing the background hexies together. Last night I stitched all 12 blocks of the same color flower together. Hmmmm. It sure seemed kinda *long*. It was at THIS POINT, I measure the height of the finished block. It was 11.25". OK .. now let's do some basic arithmetic. 12 blocks times 11.25"/block yields ..... HOLY MOLEY .. 138". THE TOP WAS GOING TO BE 138" LONG???????? I don't THINK so. Cripes.
Aside: long, long ago, after quilting my 2nd king sized quilt, I vowed (in several languages) that I would never, ever make a king sized quilt again. There is just TOO MUCH real estate to deal with. Never mind that I also had at least one other king sized *top* waiting. SIgh. However, the take-away here is that NO MORE king sized tops.
What size is a more-or-less standard king sized top? You'll find different specific measurements but the cheat sheet that I have used for years tells me a king sized top is about 106"x106". Anyone with half a brain will immediately see that 138" is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond a king sized top, even if you add in a pillow tuck amount!
I now needed to refigured how many blocks I needed ... and let's make this a queen sized quilt. Still big (at 86"x100") but manageable. I knew with a sinking feeling that I would have "leftover" blocks ... blocks that I didn't need to make in the first place! Good gosh .. all that handwork that I didn't need to do! Sigh.
Anyway, recalculating for a queen sized quilt, I have determined that I need 9 blocks per column. 9 blocks times 11.25"/block yields 101" in height. Good enough. Now for the width .. again, it's a little trickier but using the 2 nested hexie figure, I came up with 4 sets of hexies. 4 hexie sets times 20.5"/set yields 82" in width (plus a tad more). Good enough.
Yes, I have some leftover hexies. Ugh. Those will be repurposed into a smaller quilt.
Truly ... what an utter idiot I am. Although I am rather pleased with the Dillyflower blocks, I would have happily NOT MADE all those 'extra' blocks. The positive note is that while I *do* still need to make all of the neutral Dillyflowers on a color background, I now *KNOW* that I don't need to make as many as I did before!
King size is a LOT of real estate...plus sized king (or would that be Emperor sized?) would be astronomical!
Whew! I read your entire message. Yes 130 something may work on the wall of a house with a 2 story living room....and only if there are no windows in thar space.
I would either do back art for your quilt or make a throw, table runners (plural), pillows or such.
Wow you are really cranking out blocks.
I just finished a customer job and before Ioad up the next customer quilt I am going load up an old UFO my miniature quilt. I ordered a tiny baptist fan stencil and am excited to get this quilted. Since it is so tiny I am going to load a little quilted hanging bag next to it. Really that will just be outlining pattern pieces and doing a quick allover design.
I was just looking at this block on Pinterest! :)