Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com
Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.
Latest 9:45 AM by MelRN
Latest 9:34 AM by Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto)
Latest Mar-29 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Mar-29 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Mar-28 by MelRN
Latest Mar-26 by LABFIEND
Latest Mar-25 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Mar-24 by LABFIEND
Latest Mar-24 by latterberry
Latest Mar-19 by tuckyquilter
Latest Mar-18 by MelRN
Latest Mar-17 by Kim D. (KIMDIG)
Latest Mar-13 by sueinIL
Latest Mar-12 by MelRN
Latest Mar-12 by Misha (MISHAMISHA)
Latest Mar-9 by Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto)
Latest Mar-8 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Mar-5 by Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto)
Latest Mar-4 by judyinohio
Latest Mar-2 by latterberry
You can also make "scrappy" binding out of panels (or parts of them). Whole or partial panels make some really interesting binding. LOL And on my list of things to try is making a jelly roll out of a random panel, and then use the 2.5 inch strips like you would those from a "regular" jelly roll. Or, you could cut them into 2.5 inch squares. I can think of some other ideas to do with them, and because I love scrappy blocks, I have a lot of ideas. Fun!
Those are some cool ideas for panels.
I finished the quilting on my most recent UFO top yesterday. I have been working on it since October but did a couple customer quilts in-between and had some health issues that kept me away from quilting for a bit of time. Now I need to get some binding fabric and make a label for this one.
I have my next quilt lined up, a giant carpenter wheel out of bright hand dyed fabric on a black/grey grunge fabric. There will be ruler work and lots of feathers.
Now that I haven’t tried …. make binding from a panel!
that could be very interesting! Hummmmm…..always something new….
In the garage "studio" (lol) cutting backing and batting for several quilts.
Got these Xmas Goodies from my son's family..via an Amazon gift card.
I already tried the three cone thread holder (two to a pack) and it's a winner. Needed a new 'add a port' for my computer and a new clock that is a phone charger too. And even better I still have $$ to spend.. I might order some more of these Thread holders as gifts for my QOV group. I always put a gift bag together for each member of the group. Sharing this because of the thread holders and didn't want to take another pic.. lol
Wow, that thread holder DOES look like a winner! And I like the clock a lot too.
I have been cutting kits from some donation fabric for our local county hospital community outreach. I had some novelty flannels left, but not enough to do a another full quilt. Then we had a speaker on Friday that has written a fun pattern. Pretty simple really, a 6" square with 6 flying geese 3x6. I did buy the pattern just to support her (former police officer writing quilt patterns - pretty cool). The pattern is Cinnamon Spice by Sugar Stitches if you are interested.
Once I figured out that lots of starch and a Very Scant quarter inch really helped the "no waste" method of making 4 flying geese at a time, they went together quickly. I'm really liking the "modern" feel.
Terrific use of scraps. Better yet, one could size it up or down depending on the size of the scraps at hand.
Despite my best intentions, it appears that I have several hand-stitched projects going simultaneously. I have finished ONE. (clarification: finished the top, not the quilt)
I started in January 2022, so it has taken me 14 months of stitching, although I wasn't exclusively working on this project.
The Dillyflower itself is EPP and is designed by Elise Baek of the Facebook group, "English Paper Piecing Society". It is a rounded top Dresden fan, stitched onto a cental hexagon. I machine stitched the sections of the the background and the Dillyflower is hand appliqued to the background.
All the blocks were machine stitched together. Look at all those angled seams!
I wasn't really sure how to estimate the probable size of this top, but I just kept adding on columns of color. Now that it is finished, it measures a whopping 102" x 122". It is just barely going to fit on my longarm machine.
I straightened the edges by stitching half-hexagons to the top & bottom and half-diamonds to the sides.
It now joins the pile of Tops to be Quilted.