Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Just Hung My Stocking With Care ....   General Discussion

Started Dec-6 by judyinohio; 971 views.
judyinohio

Dec-6

..... and I said to myself,  "Dang it, girl, you did mighty fine needlework back in 1990!"

Yes, indeedy, more than a quarter of a century ago I did wonderful silk petitpoint when I created my own Christmas stocking to hang by the fireplace. I had made wool needlepoint stockings for my DH, DS and DD but when it came time to make one for myself I kind of went into overdrive and zoomed into show-off mode. Not only did I use fancy silk flosses but my stocking is the largest.  LOL

Do any of you have your hand-crafted Christmas stockings that you made for yourself that are fine examples of your needle skills?  Wanna show them off? 

Any technique is good for this thread .... quilted, knitted, whatever.

• Edited December 6, 2017 2:07 pm  by  judyinohio
MarciainMD

Dec-6

And where is a photo of this fine stocking?

Mine are very plain.  I made them for all of my coworkers, using fabric that suits their personalities - not just Xmas fabric.  For instance, I even found Cheez-its fabric for a gal who loves those.  And a fabric with martini glasses for another.  Others included Texas fabric, horses, Asian fabric, and tomatoes.  For another lady who is a Green Bay Packers fan, I had to use fleece, with a bright yellow flannel lining.  Her husband was so jealous that he called me and asked me to make him one too.  LOL  Then as new employees came along, I started making them out of fleece with flannel lining.  All of them are lined with coordinating fabric, but the first ones I made, out of regular quilting cotton, are kind of flimsy because I just lined them with quilting cotton too.  If I could go back and do them over, I would use flannel or some pre-quilted fabric, to give them a bit more body. 

Well, I don't have photos of all of them, but here are two I made out of the fleece (photo is a little blurry).  

judyinohio

Dec-6

You might call them "very plain" but you have obviously put a great deal of care into the choice of fabrics for each recipient. Your thoughtfulness is certainly appreciated by the people who receive your gifts (and family members come stomping along demanding equal time, too) so "plain" works its charm.  Novelty fabrics are great.

judyinohio

Dec-6

I do have a photo but it is modestly waiting to see what quilters will post. 

After all, this stocking was made in my BQ (Before Quilting) days and it is bashful about appearing on a Quilting Forum when it should appear on a needlepoint forum (if there is such a thing).

Now, if I may turn the tables, Ms. Marcia ... do you have a stocking to share??

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-6

I don't have any needlework Christmas stockings but I do have a LOT of other needlework projects.  Before quilting, that is the handwork that I did.  I loved doing it.  I was even awarded a ribbon for a picture I entered in a show.  I was pretty doggone pleased about that.

But when my girls came along, I decided that my time was better spent on making clothing for them instead of purely decorative pictures and throw pillow.  My handwork efforts where then transferred to their clothing ... smocking, French hand sewing, counted cross-stitch done with waste canvas, embroidery, tatting.  And I loved doing all of *that* needlework also. :-)

Now, I quilt.  :-)

judyinohio

Dec-6

Before Quilting I found part-time employment as a "slave laborer" making silk petitpoint dollhouse rugs (Persian rugs or French Aubusson rugs) for an Ohio company that supplied elaborate accessories for dollhouses. This was during the three years we lived in Columbus while DH went back to school to retrain to be a dermatologist; the part time work stitching those rugs brought in a tidy amount of money while I worked a part-time office job in the days and stitched in the evenings. I was amazed at what rich California women would pay for exquisite little rugs to put on the floors of their precious dollhouses.

After we left Columbus I stitched one rug in cotton flosses for my DM's Indiana farmhouse dollhouse. It wasn't the same. LOL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-6

judyinohio said:

making silk petitpoint dollhouse rugs

That is exquisite work.   Some people have more money than sense.  Or maybe without any children, they have a lot more disposable income.  Dunno.  OTOH, there's a LOT of really DUMB stuff out that that people buy. :-)

I have one big needlepoint project that is left in limbo.  It's a Victorian house with window scenes done up for Christmas.  The canvas in the windows was clipped, folded then secured to the back.  The void was filled with silk needlepoint scenes pertinent to the room.  The silk needlepoint was stitched separately, then appliqued behind the window opening so there was some dimension to it.    I think 2 or 3 room scenes were done before I abandoned the project.  I'm not sure why I didn't finish it.  Maybe because I couldn't find window scenes that I liked?  Dunno.  But, I do come across that project every once in a while.  I admire the work before I wrap it back up and put it away again. :-)

judyinohio

Dec-6

I think Donna (owner of dollhouse supply company) said that the customer who ordered those silk rugs I made back in the late 1970s was a childless widow with money to burn.

What you described about your kit sounds really interesting. However, you merely look at it and wrap it back up and put it away.  What for?  So your daughters can throw it out someday? Why don't you just donate it to a charity shop or some such place today and get it out of your storage space since you obviously do not intend to finish it.

Here I go again, nagging people to get rid of things that serve no purpose in their lives ....

• Edited December 6, 2017 10:12 pm  by  judyinohio
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-6

judyinohio said:

However, you merely look at it and wrap it back up and put it away.  What for?  So your daughters can throw it out someday?

Yes, you ARE nagging me.  You are applying YOUR standards to my life .. totally inappropriate and irrelevant.

I keep a lot of items that I don't necessarily use at this time because *I CAN* and it gives me pleasure to do so.   My daughters know my wishes when it comes to my hobby supplies and projects.  I know I can trust them to abide by those wishes and "throwing it out" is not one of them.

You need to stop your non-helpful suggestions to me.   Certainly, continue to tsk-tsk to like-minded friends since it obviously gives you pleasure to do so but stop with the pronouncements concerning your opinions regarding my life.