Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

One Annoying Thing About Quilting is .....   General Discussion

Started Jan-11 by judyinohio; 4801 views.

Not being able to spend as much time quilting as much as I would like to.

In reply toRe: msg 5
judyinohio

Jan-11

Since I once was a fifth grade teacher (long, long ago) I've always had a sharp eye on the way teachers present themselves and their methods and materials.  Kids cannot learn if the teacher is vague and/or the materials are confusing.  The same is true for adults.

This teacher on YouTube has a whiz-bang of an excellent idea on finishing a binding but her fabrics make her lesson rather  confusing, confusing enough that I had to replay the video over and over to get her method straight in my head. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuS76wVW210

She should have used better fabric choices to demonstrate her idea.  (A binding fabric that contrasted with the quilt would have been helpful.)

She should have used better lighting. 

She should have used better camera angles.

Still, making that snip is a whiz-bang of an idea and now I use it every time I finish a binding. 

IMHO,  craft teachers on YouTube should have a total stranger who is familiar with their field evaluate their lesson before they are allowed to be "on the air".  LOL

• Edited January 11, 2019 8:12 pm  by  judyinohio
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-11

I know poor instructions are to blame sometimes but I feel like I should be able to make sense of them.  I have taught many nursing classes and know that I am a visual learner and best if I read it, see it and hear it.  Hard to get that from a book or YouTube.

sueinIL

Jan-12

And I would add, Judy, to your complaints about video tutors:  Please stop spending more time on the telling than on the showing, These ladies (and maybe men, too, but I haven't watched any lately) hold onto, pet, point, lovingly pet, tap, point, smooth, hold in two fingers and flip back fabric with another finger,  seams that haven't even been sewn yet,  smooth out,  point....... all as their hands and the fabric are the only things you see in the video!!!  Aaaaarrrrggghhhh! (with apologies to Pirate).  And maybe then with two minutes left to go, do they actually put the d--ned thing under the needle and show you what happens!  

My personal pet peeve (stress the "pet")

Sue in IL

Sue:  When I first started watching videos and tutorials on YouTube, I was hungry for more and more video content on quilting and sewing.  I quickly found out which presenters do it in a clear, understandable way that is pleasant to watch.  I gradually learned which videos were going to be time-wasters.  I do not mind if a video is a long one, as long as it uses the time efficiently.

The ones I now avoid most are the streaming videos, where the presenter spends half of her time greeting people who are entering and leaving, reading those remarks out loud, and responding to the comments.  In doing so, they stop whatever they are demonstrating and pay more attention to the people who are watching than what they are working on.  Those videos go on and on and become very boring.  So I now usually avoid ALL live streaming videos for that reason. 

Much more effective are presenters who record themselves demonstrating whatever item they are constructing or whatever technique they aim to teach, with full attention to giving all the steps and clear views of what they are doing.  Then later, they "premiere" the video with a live chat session, so people are able to view the video and chat/leave remarks at the same time, but the demonstration is not constantly interrupted when they stop to greet people and respond to their remarks.  They have a chance to chat and remark on what is going on in the video, but the chat does not interrupt the original video, so if one wants to just watch the video without those interruptions, or without participating in the chat, they can do so.  Otherwise, the videos go on way too long.  I have tuned in to learn something from the video, not listen in on a huge video chat session.   

In reply toRe: msg 10
judyinohio

Jan-12

I was working on the last long seam of the body of the Pink & Purple Madness quilt this morning, a seam that is a bit shy of sixty inches long. I was stitching with my fingers and toes crossed and .... you guessed it .... the bobbin ran out of thread about twenty inches from the end.

After heaving a huge dramatic sigh (perseverewearyrage) and muttering a few choice words I refilled the bobbin because I still have to do some more piano key piecing.

So an annoying thing about quilting is the fact that a bobbin doesn't last forever .............

sueinIL

Jan-12

Oh yes, I've seen those, too.  I think it's often a LQS doing a class for their customers, who rudely wander in late, and the presenter has to acknowledge them.  Those videos should be edited if they're going onto youtube for mass consumption.

Sue in IL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-12

What drives me absolutely NUTS regarding YouTube videos by Jane Quilter is the live taping.  With windows open so we can hear the outside noises.  With the doors open so we can hear the kids and animals running around.  **Not having all the necessary supplies* exactly on hand so that you need to wander about the room gathering those supplies while the filming continues.   Or those who ramble on and on and on and *on* about something else prior to actually talking/demo-ing the subject at hand.   Just guide me to the nearest wall and let me bang my head in annoyance.

I *love* the YouTube videos that have been filmed, EDITED, and have a voice-over.  Yes, it takes longer to do.  Yes, you do need to have the appropriate software to do the editing and learn how to use it.  But it makes for a MUCH better presentation.

judyinohio

Jan-12

I think you are talking about some egotist who was never an educator in "real life", someone who never took an education course and learned about how to hold a kid's attention.

No, I am not calling you a kid, Pirate, but I am stressing an important thing that every classroom teacher knows; the mind can only absorb what the butt can endure. 

(That's why recess was invented.)

• Edited January 12, 2019 1:28 pm  by  judyinohio
mom1me2

Jan-12

I would have to say CUTTINGscream  I have had more trouble with that than anything.  I did, recently, discover I had a defunct ruler.  Damn thing is not straight and it is no wonder nothing was measuring right after all was cut. 

I like to cut all fabrics that the pattern calls for to the sizes it call for then start the process........ kinda making my own quilt kit.  But, have found that one of them was cut totally caliwampus and had to rebuy some fabrics to recut.  

I am sure that my sailor of a man has blushed a few times from the rants coming from the basement as I am sewing or trying to fit things together.  

I need some serious help with this part of it all Ladies..... Serious help.