Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

puzzle christmas   Off-Topic Chat

Started 1/29/19 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 4162 views.

in the midst of this discussion a former co-worker posted on FB a picture of her 6 year old daughter and her husband working on a puzzle together - very cute.  I asked if she was familiar with the "family" puzzles that had graduated puzzle pieces (3 different sizes), & included a link to one.  Well of course I'm now getting lots of puzzle ads.  This one popped up.  I haven't started it yet as I'm spending time in the sewing room, but I may give it a try this weekend.  One of the criticisms on line is that it is blurry, but I think it's a function of how Ravensburger puzzles are printed mat (not shiny).  Still I've admired those painted stones for a while and wanted to try regardless.

congrats on completing.  I find I enjoy a puzzle when I'm too tired to think about quilting, or too tired to risk working with the rotary blade.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/4/19

Really pretty puzzle.  Enjoy!

In reply toRe: msg 20
judyinohio

2/18/19

Speaking of puzzles ....

Here is my progress while working on a 1000 piecer from White Mountain with the theme of "Television History". This has been jolly good fun although I wish my arms were longer because I have to get my rear end out my chair to reach the pieces at the top of the puzzle.  LOL

You cannot see the images well enough to figure out that there are over 250 drawings of people and scenes from TV history ... Milton Berle, the moon landing, Hawkeye Pierce, Jack Benny, The Great Carsoni ... just oodles and oodles of things that bring back memories if you are old enough.  But there are current events as well ...

White Mountain provides a "key" on their website that you can print out which is a good thing because I could not tell the difference between the artist's renderings of Mary Tyler Moore and Marlo Thomas.  Michael Landon has earned  two drawings on the puzzle .... one as Little Joe and another as Pa from Little House on the Prairie. 

Can you tell that I am enjoying myself with this puzzle?  LOL 

What else is there to do in Ohio when the wind chill is consistently below freezing?  I rush out and fill the bird feeders and rush between the car and the grocery store and that's about it these days.   LOL

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/18/19

You have great hobbies to get you through the bad weather, puzzles, quilting, and you clay projects.  Many would only have TV.  Hope it warms up for you soon.

If you would sit on the long side, you probably wouldn't have to get up to reach either the top or bottom of the puzzle.  Of course, you would probably not enjoy doing it that way, so just keep on doing it the hard way!  

judyinohio

2/18/19

But reading the images from sideways is harder because this puzzle has small "portraits" that need studying ... like telling the difference between the face of Pamela Anderson and other blondes. LOL  I tried working sideways and I got a real "crick" in my neck. 

Of course, my neck at my age is easily "crickable".  LOL

Suze (casuzenn)

2/18/19

you need

and 

hehehe!!

In reply toRe: msg 43
Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

2/18/19

one of the ladies I work with also loves puzzles, we've been talking about puzzles lately and decided we needed one at work to play with at lunch.  We have some empty cubes so put it in one where we also have extra paper & binder clips.  I'm enjoying watching random people stop by and put a piece or two in.  It's one of those puzzles where the pieces are larger on one side and gradually get smaller.   I did a "low-key" team building thing at Christmas where I put up a little tree and a sign asking folks to help decorate it - and it went over well.  So this is a low key stress relief - the sign in the upper right invites people to help with the puzzle.

bornblesse2

2/18/19

What a good team building stress realiever!