Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

puzzle christmas   Off-Topic Chat

Started 1/29/19 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 4164 views.

They always have a big puzzle in progress in the IT Department on the 2nd floor (as you know, we are on 15, where puzzles or anything else enjoyable are not that welcome).  They also have a big table with all sorts of sci-fi and fantasy action figures.  I think I belong with those people instead of the ones in my department.  haha  

latterberry

2/19/19

You're making good progress!  This midwest winter is getting tiresome.  We get a teaser day of 50 degrees then the next it is snowing or freezing rain and below freezing.  I'm ready for spring,

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/20/19

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

decided we needed one at work to play with at lunch. 

Great idea.  Glad you had room for it.  I'm not sure I could stop at a couple pieces.

judyinohio

Feb-22

Well, I'm very disappointed in the 998 piece puzzle I just finished. Did you notice that count of pieces?  The box said it is 1,000 piece puzzle but I wound up with two pieces missing ... in this case it was Fonzie's smile and Ed Bradley's ear.

What a lesson learned.  I will not ever buy a White Mountain puzzle again. I've been buying and solving jigsaw puzzles for decades and this is the first time I've had a puzzle brand new out of the box come up with pieces missing.

(And my puzzle solving system is very well organized so please don't tell me to look for pieces on the floor. Plus DH, aka Eagle Eye, is always on the lookout for anything on the floor that doesn't belong there.)

Sigh.

Mishii

Feb-22

This happened to us one time, was so frustrating and I was very annoyed at the puzzle maker.

Turns out, the missing piece was actually stuck to Pita's arm (the one laying on the table as he reached across) and carried into another part of the house where gravity finally did its thing.  

latterberry

Feb-23

Well now, that would be beyond frustrating.  You should contact the company and tell them you are missing Fonzies' smile and Ed's ear and that they should send you those pieces.  I haven't done a puzzle in years.  The table I used is now my cutting table so I'll continue to do my puzzles online.  At least I don't have to concern myself with missing pieces!  

judyinohio

Feb-23

I've checked the company's website.  They do not send missing pieces to customers.

I will send them an actual letter (no email) explaining how trust is an important thing for a jigsaw puzzle company. My first purchase from their company has broken the bond of trust implied in the purchase; I trusted the box would have all of the pieces and since it did not I will not purchase any more White Mountain puzzles.  My letter will include photos to show my method of sorting pieces developed over decades of puzzling to show why I am confident that I did not accidentally loose a piece.

Mishii's PITA pulled a good one with a piece getting stuck to his arm, didn't he?

Here is my rather OCD method of solving a 1000 piece puzzle with so many faces ...  I used lots of shallow boxes to sort the pieces, some by colors (blues, greens and reds) and some by faces (men, women, eyes) and others by cartoon-y drawings (Scoobey-doo, Bugs Bunny, etc.)  I spent a lot of time sorting, sorting, sorting!

And here are the vacant spots ..... fiddle-dee-dee!

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Feb-23

Judy,

I urge you to contact White Mountain and tell them.  I know they'll make it right for you.  It would be a shame to boycott a "Made in the USA" company ...

I know you're frustrated, but at least give them a chance to make you happy you did business with them.

Cris in MT

Mishii

Feb-23

You have made puzzling on my mind lately.  Stopped by a thrift store today and they had a whole shelf of puzzles.  Bought a couple and decided if they are missing pieces then I'm only out $2.

judyinohio

Feb-23

My car's license plate reads QULTER. (Someone else in Ohio beat me to QUILTER.) 

I have a bumper sticker that reads "Behind Every Great Quilter There's a Huge Pile of Fabric"

So I have been stopped a few times in the parking lot of a grocery store (or some such place) and asked a few questions about "Is it hard to become a quilter?" or "What does it take to start quilting?"   The first thing I ask the person is "Do you like to work jigsaw puzzles?" 

If the person answers "yes" to that question I tell the person that they might like quilt making because the same skills are needed for quilting and puzzle solving .... an eye for color, patience and pleasure in putting bits and pieces together to make a whole thing out of small schnibbles. (I always get them with the word "schnibbles". ) 

I usually recommend the Carol Doak book (Your First Quilt Book) or I suggest Jenny Doan's Missouri Star website.

If the person answers "no" then I say "Maybe not" and explain why ...

• Edited February 23, 2019 5:19 pm  by  judyinohio