Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

using a Scan-n-Cut with quilting   General Discussion

Started Mar-14 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 2168 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-14

Do any of you have a Brother Scan-n-Cut electronic cutting/drawing machine?   I've had one for several years but have mainly used it for card making and scrapbook layouts.

I have frolicked (briefly) with having the machine cut out Hawaiian appliques for me ... and it did absolutely work but I haven't pursued it, as I'm not working on a Hawaiian applique quilt *at this time*.

What I *am* working on is a needleturn applique quilt.  The top will have about a bazillion 12" needleturn applique blocks.   I think I might be about halfway done ... maybe.  Up until this point, I've had patterns for the blocks I'm doing.  I patiently cut the pattern pieces apart manually, use the pieces as templates to cut my needleturn applique fabric pieces.

However, I don't have the pattern for the block I'm working on now.  I do have a graphic of what the block is supposed to look like.  I had started to manually draw out the needleturn pattern pieces when it occurred to me ... waitaminite ... I can bring this graphic into my Scan-n-Cut, have it trace/recognize the individual pieces and then CUT the pieces out of cardstock for me!   Not only would I not need to do the fiddly cutting myself (out of copy paper) but having the pattern pieces in cardstock would make for a sturdier template to trace around the edges.

So .. I did that.  And my machine did its thing and .... HOLY MOLEY!!  It worked.  It absolutely, positively worked perfectly!   Dang, i am soooo pleased with this technique!

Furthermore, if I replace the cutting blade with a marker that had disappearing ink, I would be able to DRAW a graphic onto fabric so it could be embroidered ... if I wanted to do that.   

Here is the graphic of the 12" needleturn applique block that I'm working on:

and here is a picture of my template pieces, all nicely cut out.  Be aware that the cutting mat is white and the cardstock is white, so seeing the cut cardstock on the mat may be a little difficult.  When I took this picture, I had just started to label the pieces with what color fabric they needed to be.

I am just sooooo delighted to be able to have the pattern pieces cut accurately for me.  :-)

Suze (casuzenn)

Mar-14

you can tell it to cut the fabric (with seam allowance) from that design too - its a setting  to get it to add the seam allowance - if you have the fabric cutting mat - if I remember, its a stickier mat than the paper mat...was pretty fun to do...

judyinohio

Mar-14

One of these days you will have to enter a needleturn applique quilt of yours into a local quilt show.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-15

judyinohio said:

One of these days you will have to enter a needleturn applique quilt of yours into a local quilt show.

I have. :-)   I entered the quilt below in our county fair.  Got first place ribbon, too!  I must say that I am *mighty* pleased with this quilt.

While the interior is machine pieced, all of the vines and flowers around the perimeter are needleturn applique.   I do have several other tops with needleturn, but they need to be quilted.  :-)

Judy (DJZMOM)

Mar-15

What fun!  I know how delighted you must be with yourself.

judyinohio

Mar-15

And I am grinning over your first place ribbon that went with the quilt.  It is magnificent!

Now it is time to move on up to the state fair!!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-16

Your blue ribbon quit sure deserves it.  It's beautiful!  I'm with Judy, move on up to the State Fair or a local quilt show like the one you and Judy go to every year.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-16

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

I'm with Judy, move on up to the State Fair or a local quilt show like the one you and Judy go to every year.

PIQF?  Oh my god, no!   It is NOWHERE good enough to hang at PIQF.    PIQF is like the Houston show, only slightly smaller.

I wouldn't really even consider the state fair ... there are problems with it.  Not enough to hinder using it or even looking at it .. but to be judged?  Ah, no.

judyinohio

Mar-16

You are too harsh a critic of your own work.

Remember Dee's description of the humps and bumps in the ribbon-winning quilt at the Dallas show, the quilt she just recently shared with us.  She said the one she saw like it at the show was full of flaws and yet had a prize ribbon attached to it.

Bret Maverick ... "Faint heart never filled a flush".  Enter the state fair.

Suze (casuzenn)

Mar-16

I would try PIQF....

nothing ventured...nothing gained!! worst they can do is reject it for showing...and if they accept it and it doesn't win something...at least you have the satisfaction of knowing it was hung in very good company!

Sad to say...I would not trust a state fair or a county fair to have the security that is necessary....