Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Osteoporosis   Off-Topic Chat

Started Apr-4 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 801 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-4

Well, apparently I have it.     You could have blown me over with a feather.

I had a bone density scan done earlier this week and although my GP didn't give me the bone density number (I've ask for it), she said that I do have osteoporosis and has prescribed Fosamax for me.

So, beside the cholesterol and blood pressure meds, I now need to take meds for osteoporosis.  This is excessively annoying.  How dare my body betray me this way!!   

I guess when I was really into the exercise, weight machine, and toning activities I was doing 20 years ago didn't have long term results.  Harumph.

CC (ccase5)

Apr-4

I took a test and then started taking Ibandronate. After a year I talked to the Nurse about getting another bone scan. i wanted to see if the meds helped at all. She said it was no use taking another test. all the meds do is try to keep your bones in what ever health you had when the test was done. there is no building them up stronger, just helping them not get worse. I was not happy with that but what can you do? not a thing but take a pill! good luck.
Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-4

I have it...pretty badly....

I refuse to take the Fosamax...it has some nasty side effects...like sudden thigh fractures - not really nice! And..you have to stay upright for 1/2 hour after taking it...

I am supplementing D3 and K2...and doing 20 jumping jacks a day - any weight bearing exercise works...

not sure how my numbers compare..since I found out last year and they have refused to do another scan ...says its scheduled for next year...I may pay to have a new scan outside of my medical plan.

sigh.....

my Dad has very severe osteoporosis - his back is in super sad shape...his Mom also had it pretty bad,,,and broke her hip in her later years....

my daughter has taken the bull by the horns and is doing gym training including weight bearing twice a  day...and is supplementing her D3...

have to make sure my son is doing weight bearing exercises too....

In reply toRe: msg 3
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-4

So, my GP got back to me and the numbers are a mixed bag.

Lumbar spine T-score is -2.7 (definite osteroporosis).  ack.

left total hip: -.08 (totally fine)

left femoral neck: -1.1 (osteopenia: pre-osteoporosis)  oops.

I hadn't thought about different bones having different densities but I suppose it makes sense.

Suze, I *was* cautioned about not lieing back down for 1/2 hour after taking Fosamax.  The pill needs to get *into* the stomach and apparently if you lie back down (i.e. go back to bed), the pill could dissolve in your esophagus .. not good.   My prescription is for 1 pill once a week, supplemented with Calcium+Vit D pills.

And ... continuing my more-or-less daily 3 mile walk.  I'll need to start using resistance bands too. 

And do some research as to what kinds of exercising activities would be good for strengthening my lumbar area.  Heh .. I'd think that since I'm overweight  (yes, I'm gradually losing weight also albeit danged slowly), the vertical pressure on my spine would be a good "weight bearing exercise" but apparently not. :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-4

CC (ccase5) said:

all the meds do is try to keep your bones in what ever health you had when the test was done. there is no building them up stronger, just helping them not get worse.

Interesting.

My sister-in-law's mother (in her elderly years) had osteoporosis bad enough that she described it as "Swiss Cheese bones".  She was on a daily injection of something for a year and it certainly improved her situation.  And that's the sum total of my knowledge about her condition. :-)

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-5

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

Lumbar spine T-score is -2.7 (definite osteroporosis).  ack.

mine measured at -2.6 last spring...who knows what it is now....

beware of crush fractures...I have 5 so far...one old one that healed up on its own...two that were fixed by kyphoplasty and two that have issues that make them ineligible for kyphoplasty - one has a bulging disk and the other has a prolapsed disk... 

viola (sissly4)

Apr-5

Shelley I have Osteoporosis.I was on Fosamax For six month.I  quick because of the side effects.I take what is call Bone Strength.I get it at Sprout.Or you can order it thru mail order.I have been taking it for seven years.My bone density every two year it show it has not got worse just stay the same.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-6

Unfortunately the weight bearing and exercise has to be continued for continued benefit.  Hope the fosamax keeps your numbers from getting worse. I'm on the edge(osteopenia).  We will see what the next one says.  I'm about due for it.

KSCarolyn

Apr-7

viola (sissly4) said:

was on Fosamax For six month.I  quick because of the side effects

I curious, what kind of side effects were you having?  I've been on Fosamax for years and never had a problem.

Carolyn

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-7

my doctor said I would only be on Fosamax for up to 5 years max (if I were even willing to take it!)...since after that there are no benefits...