Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Any other ways to attach pieced backings?   General Discussion

Started Apr-23 by sueinIL; 448 views.
sueinIL

Apr-23

I am using up pieces of batting I've had stored away for a while and trying to decide on a method of attaching them to each other (3 fairly large pieces leftover from other quilts).  I know of only two ways to do that:  using a diagonal stitch to sew them together, and using iron-on tape.  Anyone have another way?  the quilt is just 60" square, but I'll have to pick it all up to move from the guest bed to the kitchen table.  So far, just lots of pins.

Sue in IL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-23

This method has served me well with several pieced battings.   (I do like the iron-tape but I frequently don't have any .. so I improvise).

I cut (about) an 1" wide strip of muslin.  I topstitch the batting to half of the muslin strip, kinda sorta centering the batting edge on the center line of the strip.  I don't measure and I don't fuss if it's "off".

Once that edge is secured, I butt the other batting up against the stitched-down batting and topstitch the 2nd batting.  And I'm done.   Alternatively, you could use a regular zig-zag stitch along each batting edge separately, instead of the topstitching.

If you don't like the double topstitching, you can use a multi-stitch zig-zag or a serpentine stitch that criss-crosses *both* edges of batting at the same time.   You get the stitching done in one pass but I found it does have its drawbacks.  I stopped using that method because I couldn't control both edges of the batting PLUS the muslin strip placement PLUS moving the whole shebang under the needle.

When I sandwich, I put the muslin strip side against the backing, as that side of the batting seems to be "smoother".

It is true that the topstitching or zig-zag does sink into the batting and leaves "puffy" bits kinda/sorta sticking up.  And yes, the 1" wide muslin strip could be made narrower .. BUT .. in the grand scheme of things, once you put the top on the pieced batting, you never even see where the pieced batting has been ... mainly because of all the seams in the top.   And the quilting you're going to do will hide a lot of imperfections also.  Ditto when you launder the quilt.

sueinIL

Apr-23

That sounds good, Pirate!  I like the doesn't-have-to- be perfect idea.  Seems like your method would be more stable than the diagonal stitches, too.  Thanks!

Sue in IL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-23

ONLY ONCE did I do hand, diagonal stitching (big honkin' stitches) to join the batting together.  TOOK ME FOREVER and I worried about the stitches holding together through the quilting process.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-24

I have overlapped the two and zig-zagged.  Didn't notice as being a problem when I quilted it.  I have also used the iron on, ony I made my own of strips of light iron on interfacing.  Both worked.

I have yards and yards of narrow fusible left from the tshirt quilts. I should bring some for the donation table if i get to go to az next year.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-25

Expecting you!  Hope life is better at work by then.

In reply toRe: msg 7
sueinIL

Apr-25

Thanks, everyone for some excellent suggestions.  I never thought about using strips of fusible interfacing to join batting pieces!  I've been to Joann's already today with coupons in my hot little hand, but all their Olfa stuff and quilting notions are on sale for 40% off.  I didn't get to use my coupons, but the prices on what I wanted were very good!  And I did buy some of the fusible strips for joining batting. $6 for 10 yards is pretty good, in my estimation.

Thank you all!

Sue in iL