Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Totally frustrated with fusible batting tape   General Discussion

Started Apr-25 by sueinIL; 385 views.
sueinIL

Apr-25

At Joann's this morning, I bought some Dritz fusible batting tape.  It is sticking to everything but the batting!  I have had to clean it off my iron and  pull it off a pressing cloth I decided to try as a plan B.  I've used fusible batting tape plenty of times before, but maybe it wasn't this brand.  This stuff is awful!  I assumed (yes, I know what that means) that the side next to the roll was probably the sticky side,  but it didn't stick to the batting.  I turned the tape over and tried again, but ended up peeling it off the iron.  What gives???

My enthusiasm is waning...

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Apr-25

Sorry if this sound sarcastic, Sue, but if all else fails, read the instructions which should spell things out.

Never "assume" anything about fusibles.

My guess is that your iron was too hot.

Carefully read the instructions about iron temperature, damp pressing cloth with a dry iron, don't use a steam iron or whatever else the instructions call for. 

The brand I use (not Dritz) emphasizes that iron settings are very important because the fusible product is 100% polyester.  My instuctions say that if the batting is cotton or wool use wool setting on the iron.

Based on my experience the fusible side (which has the glue) feels rougher than the other side.

sueinIL

Apr-25

I found a package of the brand of fusible batting tape I have used successfully before, Heat Press. That's the one I will buy again.

The instructions on the Dritz package are minimal:  "Test batting and tape before beginning project.  For irons with non-stick plates--use low cotton setting.  For all other irons--use synthetic setting for 100% polyester batting or wool setting for synthetic mixed batting."

I tried different temperatures.  I tried pressing cloth and no pressing cloth.  I tried shorter strips overlapped a bit .  My first trial ended up with the tape curling into a string.  That's when I went lower than the cotton setting.  I thought it was finally working, but when I let it cool completely and then moved the batting down the ironing board to open a new section, the tape practically floated off to the floor.  There was no way it was going to hold together for the quilter.  

Quite possibly, it was user error, but I tried it a number of different ways, and nothing seemed to make a difference.  The stuff just wouldn't stick to the batting, which is an 80/20 blend.

Sue in iL

judyinohio

Apr-25

Well, then, we will blame it on the evil batting.

CC (ccase5)

Apr-28

wow, really. may be a new batch that is made badly. you can put a teflon pressing sheet over it and iron it on. if you have one. Good luck!
sueinIL

Apr-29

Thank you!  I hadn't thought of the teflon sheet, and I do have one!  I found a great deal on amazon, and bought 2 rolls of the Heat Press tape for $10, so I'll use it first.  

Your suggestion is a good one--thanks!

Sue in IL