Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Havel's Thread Snips Getting Dull-ish   General Discussion

Started Apr-30 by judyinohio; 679 views.
judyinohio

Apr-30

It seems hard to believe that I seem to have snipped so many threads with this little rascal over the years but I think it is getting a bit dull. The question is, do I buy exactly the same thing or is there something newer, better and smaller on the market that I have not learned about because I no longer go to quilt shows.

I am open to suggestions, please.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Apr-30

Judy,

I love my Gingher thread snips.  Like other Gingher products, they're finest quality.  I even had them sharpened recently!

https://www.joann.com/thread-snip-4-1-2in/2818136.html

Cris in MT

Mishii

Apr-30

I bought cheap ones from Amazon for about $11. They are sharp and pointy.  Not sure if they will last 20 years, but no doubt I will lose them long before they dull.

• Edited April 30, 2019 7:29 pm  by  Mishii
5dogmom (CRISR5) said:

I love my Gingher thread snips.  Like other Gingher products, they're finest quality.  I even had them sharpened recently!

I have had my two pair of Gingher snips since I began factory work in 1974. They have been sharpened a few times but are worth their weight in gold. I have them sitting by each of my machines.

I’ve had my Gingher rotary cutter about 12 years and use it all the time except for paper. 

latterberry

May-1

Well, they sure are cute!  If it was me, I would look for the same thing i you can find it.  I'm  a creature of habit and like things to stay the same with many of my "tools".  I may try a new ruler but end up going back to my old faithful.  So, if you like the way they snip and handle, I'd look for the same thing.

judyinohio

May-1

Yes, I like the little lightweight Havel snips and I can still buy a new one on Amazon.

I just thought I should check and see if there was something "new and improved" out there that I didn't know about.  wink

bornblesse2

May-1

Judy, I love my snips too!  I doubt there is anything out there better for snipping those threads!

but, if you ever look for sharp, comfortable scissors look for The Perfect scissors!  They come in different length blades, they are VERY sharp, narrow blade with large comfy handles!

they are pricey, but definitely worth the money! Here is one example....

https://www.amazon.com/Karen-Kay-Buckley-Perfect-Scissors/dp/B005IR6H5M

If you are used to it you may have to readjust to using something different.

Is the upper-range price on that correct?!  

One of these days I would like to have an entire set of KKB scissors - one in every size.  But that price is ridiculous!  

bornblesse2

May-1

JDO, I don’t know about the price!   They are pricy scissors!  Most people I know just have one or two pair in the sizes that suit them most!

i have a small pair for my detailed Mc Kenna type pieces and LOVE them.   I know others that have a larger pair and love them.  One day I am getting a longer blade pair...

i can say the blades are super sharp and the larger handle holes make them so much more comfortable to use.