Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Waste Knot pattern   General Discussion

Started May-1 by sueinIL; 947 views.
sueinIL

May-1

This pattern seems to be everywhere and nowhere all at the same time.  It's shown in personal galleries like flikr, on pinterest, listed in quilt shop classes, etc.  But nowhere is the pattern!  It was featured in a magazine for quilt retailers, but you have to subscribe to get the article. I don't want to break any laws, but surely someone knows where the instructions might be found.  It it's in a book of strip quilts, I might already have it. I would like it to use up a ton of batik scraps.

Thank you,

Sue in IL

http://aquiltedheart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Waste-Knot.jpg

This is just one of many "sightings."

Mishii

May-1

I like that.  Hope you find it so I can get it too.

In reply toRe: msg 2
judyinohio

May-1

WHOOPS!!  MY BAD!!  NOT THE SAME PATTERN!!  weary

However, it is fairly similar.  disappointed  Your pattern, Sue, does not have a white cross in the center.

Judy Martin, a favorite teacher whose books guided me when I was learning about quilting in the early 1990s, has this pattern on the web under a different name:   https://www.favequilts.com/Block-Patterns/Celtic-Squares-Block

Who is to say which name is the "correct" name?

Frankly, Judy Martin has been in the business of writing books about quilt making for decades and I'll stick with her name for a block and her instructions any day.  She's the one who taught me about using the finest (skinniest) pins for pinning quilt parts, about using my vintage Singer over any fancy new machine for straight piecing (she used a Featherweight until recently) and about pressing seams open slowly and carefully to get the best flat results.

That should be pretty simple. It is made of partial seams of strips around a square. Then some strip sets. I would try making the pieces 2" finished. Bet if you got out graph paper you could figure that out easy.

Mishii

May-1

Looks like a log cabin type construction.  Start with 2 1/2" squares, then add a couple of more.  Sashing and done.

Maybe not though ::shrug::

sueinIL

May-1

I have lots of graph paper left from the "old days." Will be fun to do again, and boy! do I have lots of fabrics to cut up!

sue in IL

latterberry

May-2

I really like that pattern (as if I need any more),  Thanks for sharing.

sueinIL

May-2

I would be happy to find out that she has instructions for the Waste Knot quilt!  I am still looking, but I think I could draft it on graph paper and go from there.

Sue in IL

Sassylass08

May-2

I hope you don't mind me putting this in. I hope it helps you.

https://jmncreativeendeavours.ca/2014/06/10/celtic-knots-quilt/

sueinIL

May-2

I don't mind at all!.   You've won't believe I just found that site this morning! I think because it has a different name, I just kept scrolling past it.  Taking Ami's advice, I got out graph paper and drew it out.  Now I see what the writer meant by making 48 blocks and then the various sashing strips.  I think all the cutting will take longer than the sewing.

Thanks!

Sue in IL